Tropic isle

ryguy

Non-member
I bought a fire shrimp from them 4 days ago. He disappeared being my rocks and I found a claw floating around 2 days later. I thought he might have melted, but when I pulled it out, it seemed like his actual claw. Then I started to see various other parts.

Anyone know what their policy is when it comes to livestock not making it?

Up to a week with water sample. And only get half credit.

i never buy livestock from then.i have very bad experience with them.i usually buy from jays or lovely pets.

Be careful buying zoas from them. I bought some the other day because I wanted the tunicates that were attached, and after dipping, there were zoa eating nudis and eggs that I had to scrape off. I haven't had a problem with anything else from them besides a shrimp that died and I was given a new one and he was fine.

Be careful buying zoas from them. I bought some the other day because I wanted the tunicates that were attached, and after dipping, there were zoa eating nudis and eggs that I had to scrape off. I haven't had a problem with anything else from them besides a shrimp that died and I was given a new one and he was fine.

Thats not good. When i worked there i was there coral guy i made sure that all corals was dipped and then redipped in coral revive which is still a dip but less harsh. They must be getting lazy again. The last time i went there coral frags was small again i use to make them decent sized for the prices. But i still love these guys. They have good stuff and a few of there guys know what there doing. Some of them really dont to so be very careful who you take advise from

The fish guys are pretty helpful there. The big fish only tanks have copper in them. Just ask them about individual fish and they will let you know how long they have had them and what they are eating.

Thread moved to Reef Talk since none of this discussion is allowed in the Vendor Experiences forum.

John K BRS moderator

That policy is actually far better than any other LFS i've heard of. Quality coral/fish or not, a 24 hour refund is something i've never heard of anywhere else, nevermind partial credit.

I've only seen LFS say saltwater sales are final sales only, no refund, no "warranty". Aside from dry goods anyways. I've never been, but i've heard their selection is pretty decent.

I came home yesterday to my nassarius snail, that I also got from TI, devouring my still live cleaner shrimp that had been doing well for about 2 weeks.

My first tank and I'm down close to $100 in shrimp in the first few weeks. I don't know what gives. Parameters were great, I was ghost feeding because my first fish are in qt, doing 10% water changes every week.

Seems like my cuc is battling it out. TI told me my shrimp, nass snails, hermits, and turbos would do well together.

I've been to a couple of store around worcester area lately in search of some fish for my newer tank. Did not buy anything. Needless to say this search made for a couple of pretty sad trips. Wife said to just order them online and at this point I am inclined to do so. I've seen ich in at least 3 of the stores, deformed and maimed fish at Tropic Isle, pest anemones in almost all of them, most of the fish are looking starved and the staff tells customers "they are still aclimating". when asked if they have anything that has been in their tanks for a while one almost always gets pointed to the perculas and other fish that would not die if one tried to kill them. Selection in most cases is zip to nothing, they all offer to order you something if you pay upfront. For gods sake, I could not even find 6 green cromies in any of the stores i've been to, everybnody has 2-3 and "can get you more". all the algae blenies I've seen look as if fed weightwatchers stuff, the tangs are either so shy they hide as soon as one approaches the tank or they look starved to death or infected with ick to the point of no return.
On top of all of this every fish I have seen is at least 30% more expensive than online+shipping.
I have not shopped around for anything tank related in a while, not in the stores anyway, but this last week reminded me why I have not walked into any of these store in a long while.
At this point a 175 online order at Petco looks more and more attractive, especially given that 175+ qualify for free shipping.

I came home yesterday to my nassarius snail, that I also got from TI, devouring my still live cleaner shrimp that had been doing well for about 2 weeks.

My first tank and I'm down close to $100 in shrimp in the first few weeks. I don't know what gives. Parameters were great, I was ghost feeding because my first fish are in qt, doing 10% water changes every week.

Seems like my cuc is battling it out. TI told me my shrimp, nass snails, hermits, and turbos would do well together.

You may have bought a whelk.

Went to Tropic Isle today. Clownfish selection is not so good these days. The picasso tank all a bunch of sick fish. I moved too far away to give them another chance. I'll order what I can't find locally online. Used to love this place's clownfish selection.

I think that as bad as local stores are, that doesn't mean that because you're ordering from an online stock list with no WYSIWYG photo that you're going to have a pest-free perfect specimen from ordering online. You should still QT everything and/or dip. It's a false sense of security to think that ordering online is going to mean healthy. I've spent thousands at Divers Den and I've had my fair share of issues. Every place can have problems, we're lucky that we can see problems in person in a store, ordering online is rolling the dice.

Just make sure that wherever you order from, that you understand their policies, otherwise you'll truly be screwed if something goes wrong. And always QT.

I think that as bad as local stores are, that doesn't mean that because you're ordering from an online stock list with no WYSIWYG photo that you're going to have a pest-free perfect specimen from ordering online. You should still QT everything and/or dip. It's a false sense of security to think that ordering online is going to mean healthy. I've spent thousands at Divers Den and I've had my fair share of issues. Every place can have problems, we're lucky that we can see problems in person in a store, ordering online is rolling the dice.

Just make sure that wherever you order from, that you understand their policies, otherwise you'll truly be screwed if something goes wrong. And always QT.

wiseman

Fish is always the hard part for any LFS.

Back