Tropic isle

I can understand that but in my opinion I believe that lfs should lead by example and qt and treat their fish before they put them up for sale. I understand that it takes time and money but leading by example and promoting good practice is a must. Their are some stores that do this. If a store is blatantly neglecting livestock and letting dead fish sit in a tank with sick fish, then they shouldn't be in the business. Like Petco for instance

Last edited:
By no means am I bashing Tropic isle. I've never stepped foot in that store so for me to say anything about them would be untrue

I was there the other day and their lack of knowledge gets me every time. Their prices are going up and tanks are falling apart. Not a fan of going there but sometimes I need to.

I like Tropic Isle. I have three fish in my 38g purchased 3 years ago and they are all still healthy and colorful. I haven't bought a lot of coral from them -- but I have purchased a few pieces and they are also doing well. I did not catch any pests. I did pick off some asterina starfish from one piece during dipping before placing in my tank. I also get snails and crabs and such there. I did bring in bubble algae, however, from a piece a purchased online from an online vendor and I am still trying to get rid of it.

I really appreciate having a brick-and-mortar store to go to get supplies when I need them. I also buy my refrigerated foods -- like live phyto and oyster feast from them. Otherwise, I'd have to pay to have it shipped to my house. I can pick over bins of dry rock to find just the shapes I want when I want them.

I am not sure what the point of this forum thread is. It is reading like a TI bashing session without a productive purpose. I would be very upset if something happened to that store because I enjoy going there and they definitely fill a need for me.

Hey coral,

Again thanks for the kind words on our loss. On this topic, I have been there and have seen what you saw and it is sad at times, but I have been there a lot over the years and they were normally good, I only ever had one problem and I took it up with the owner many times is what they feed their larger fish. Anyways for a store their size they can not QT all their fish, they might as well close their doors. The nature of fish and coral sales for a brick and mortar shop is you order they come as well as the bill. And the Pet shops do not make anyone rich. My family owned a pet shop that carried everything fish and birds when I was growing up in Tucson. My dad did have a small QT system in the back with I think it was like ten 10 gal and few 20s . that was for the treatment of really sick fish, we were mostly fresh water back in the 70s. We never sold sick fish, we would tell the customers to give us time to make sure we have it handled. different world with a lot different cost burdens. Myself I do not trust and thing I buy to be healthy, I used to QT everything fish and corals. all fish got copper and PP and did not go into myDT for a month. I would take a water sample into the store and tell them to test it and tell them my plan and that i expect a full refund if I lost the fish within 3 weeks they either said ok or no, if its not then I knew they did not trust their product. We have to take care of ourselves as the buyer. But yes i do get a little sick when I see a pet in a store not healthy no matter what it is.

Brian

PS sorry bored stiff in this damn hotel lol
I can understand that but in my opinion I believe that lfs should lead by example and qt and treat their fish before they put them up for sale. I understand that it takes time and money but leading by example and promoting good practice is a must. Their are some stores that do this. If a store is blatantly neglecting livestock and letting dead fish sit in a tank with sick fish, then they shouldn't be in the business. Like Petco for instance

Last edited:
There tend to be two types of pet store owners. The ones that care about pets, and the ones that want to monetize pets. I rarely see any that are a mixture of the two.
From my experience, tropic isle is one that wants to monetize pets, be it coral, fish, shrimp, or crap equipment from the early 2000s that they're still trying to sell at 2000s prices. I don't think there's much point to speculate on why they do what they do, we can see it when we walk around as experienced reefers.

However, imagine all the kids and families just starting off in the hobby and they go to the "biggest oldest store in the boston-area" and see aisles and aisles of fish. That might all look glitz and glam for these new people that don't know any better. Then they buy it, and go home, fail, go back, buy more, fail again, and now the hobby has most likely lost another. And now if the child that was once interested in fish now think it's a pain in the a** and sucks and is hard, that means their kids are less likely to succeed or go into the hobby.

To me, this is the saddest part of the hobby and the hardest part to fix in Massachusetts. I know the problems associated with owning and running a store and honestly it's the community that's the biggest problem. All you have are these crappy stores. Not enough people like Dong and Frank around to educate and proliferate best practices. They and I know better, fiscally speaking, to open and run a LFS. It simply doesn't work with the supply chain that the NE region has and the way internet shopping is. Then you look past the stores that make up the community. Look at the throngs of people on BRS that ask for half off of half off of something new, when it's already listed at prices better than eBay. Who wants to stick around and deal with people like that? It's annoying and devaluing life and equipment. Sometimes we sell used high quality stuff at low low prices to people because we think they need a break and mainly because we're doing fine financially on our own, then we see these same people flip the stuff that we just sold them thinking that we're helping them out. Sometimes they just want to buy stuff for cheap because they are "testing things out" and don't want to associate fiscal risk to it. Can we get rid of these type of people? Probably not, and it's too bad it's these type of people that make up the majority of the people that we deal with. These are also the same people that stores deal with.

The LFS is dead without a good community. Nobody focuses on building the community because it's a hard problem to solve. I'd like to solve it but this is unfortunately not the correct venue or vehicle to do it

There tend to be two types of pet store owners. The ones that care about pets, and the ones that want to monetize pets. I rarely see any that are a mixture of the two.
From my experience, tropic isle is one that wants to monetize pets, be it coral, fish, shrimp, or crap equipment from the early 2000s that they're still trying to sell at 2000s prices. I don't think there's much point to speculate on why they do what they do, we can see it when we walk around as experienced reefers.

Actually, they have a nice new Red Sea reefer 450 up. As to what is in their hearts -- let's not be so quick to judge when we can't possibly know.

In general, QT by LFS is difficult to do. A proper qt require a month or so. Simply holding the fish for one or two week does almost nothing to ensure its health.

Fast turn over is critical to LFS to survive. So that money won't be tied up. Some LFS will write its wholesaler a check when ordering fish and hope that they will make enough money from the shipment to cover that check before it is cashed.

LFS throughout the country are barely making their ends meet let alone getting rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back