Turnover rate..

IffersTankSlave

C'mon SPRING!!
Can someone tell me what the IDEAL turnover rate for a 180 gal. reef tank? Right now it's about 955 G.P.H. I think it should be more. Comments?

Depending on what you are keeping, 10x-20x so elementary math tells me you should almost double what you have?? I've got 900 in my 90 mixed reef and I don't think it is enough. HTH.

Thats what I have been thinking. I am running an Iwaki 70, about 19 feet total head. Will an Iwaki 100 do it, or do I need to go even bigger? I await all of your replies with baited breath...or something like that.

Keith,
Depending on your drain sizes (you need to get the water back out), you could add another 70 or even 100. That would be a good choice because if one ever failed you would have back up. It would not be the most economical solution for moving that much water, for my new large system I did a lot of pump research. I ended up with a Sequence pump moving 2500 GPH @ only 213 watts, and next to 0 heat returned to the system.
Dave,
Don't confuse flow with turnover. The tunze is great for creating lots of random flow, but you still need that turnover rate. Get that water down to the sump for all the fun activity down there: biological filtration, skimmer, additives heaters etc...
Good luck
Marc

Thaks for the info.
Marc, checked on the Sequence...the 6000 would give me approx. 17X/hr., the 5200 approx. 13X/hr. I long gave up on trying to save the elec. bill! Besides the tank. we have a hot tub and central A/C...like swimming upstream! (Opinions on which one? I have dual 1" drains, but I could use the exterior threads on the bulkhead fittings, and open them up a bit, make a larger drain/flow to the basement sump. )

Last edited:
2X1" sounds small for a 180?? ... but I've never owned one. Is that the size of your plumbing or is it the blukhead size? Take a good look at how your going to get it out before you decide how much your putting in. There are some good flow caculators over on RC. Also do a search on tank turnover rate. I think you'll find that anything over 10X is being used for a specific SPS use.

Back