unable to keep sps.

Can you please post a photo of your big leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here are all the pics image1.JPGimage2.JPGimage3.JPGIMG_0724.JPG

They don't look big enough to cause problem, just my experience.

When there is no obvious reason what caused the death of SPS, I would do aggressive water change.

The smaller leather with the bright green polyps - is that a tyree toadstool, or another non-specified bright gr leather? I ask because one of the most aggressive (I think) leathers I have encountered looks a lot like that one.

Thats what I thought but the next plan is for mass water changes so we will see. Like you said maybe a build up of toxins over the months.

The smaller leather with the bright green polyps - is that a tyree toadstool, or another non-specified bright gr leather? I ask because one of the most aggressive (I think) leathers I have encountered looks a lot like that one.

I believe that is correct. I have 4 of those. they were added after the problem started. they are far away from most of the corals you can see the dead bonsai next to the toadstool. in that pic. that bonsai had died before I bought the toad stool. I just havent pulled the dead stuff out because someone coming by said leave it he wanted to see.

So you mean they are "tyree toadstools", or some other nameless leather with a similar color but probably not the same shape?

Yes the guy i bought them from had said they were tyree. The gentleman is on here and sold them here as tyree but to be honest i wouldnt know the difference. I just checked and his post is still active on the second oage of corals for sale. he has better pictures there

Great post. I have had problems with SPS, LPS and softies in the past. An ultra clean tank favors SPS. A tank with a little dirtier water favors softies (zoas, leathers, etc). It can be a tough balance especially with leathers and SPS. I don't recommend it. Zoas and LPS along with SPS seem to do fine. if the water is super clean the SPS seem to grow better. If the water is a little bit less super clean the LPS and zoas seem to do better. The SPS, LPS and zoas all seem to still grow but at different rates due to the water quality. Leathers really seem to screw things up IMO and experience as far as SPS. I highly recommend not having leathers and SPS corals together due to the toxins that leather put out.

Yes the guy i bought them from had said they were tyree. The gentleman is on here and sold them here as tyree but to be honest i wouldnt know the difference. I just checked and his post is still active on the second oage of corals for sale. he has better pictures there

Oh, OK. The tyree toadstools shouldn't be of any unusual concern then.

Added a bunch of charcoal and doing 30 gallon water changes everyother day for another week. I did pick up a birds eat the other day and a war corral frag. Haven't seen any signs of problems yet. One thing to note my alk is creeping up it was at 10.6 the other day before a water change. I will be retesting again tonite. May turn off the calcium reactor for a bit till the alk comes down. I am also adding my 55 gallon tank to the system this week and hope to swap out my Rubbermaid sump for a larger one. I may move the leathers to the 55 so I can put charcoal right at the overflow and isolate the water coming from the leathers. Plus adding this and swapping the dump will prevent the 2 gallon over flow I have when I lose power and add more water for stability and filtration. I don't have a picture but will try and get one today but I had something strange happen to a green slimmer I bought. One half turned completely white the other half seems ok. Not like separate branches but right down the middle of a branch. I will get a pic it's strange

IMG_0780.JPGIMG_0779.JPG

so these are not very good pictures but if you can see the slimer is almost perfectly white on one side. the blue picture its hard to tell what you are looking at but you can see the difference between the 2 sides. this is placed about half way down the tank just off to the side of a hydra 26 light the white part is facing away from the light but not completely. its like half of the white and half of the green face away from the light. it is about 14 inches from a fan that is directed above the coral so it gets flow but not direct flow. the other side seems fine but that may change quickly.

looking at your water volume of 2 tanks, refug, and sump....looks like +/-354 gallons. Looking at your coral livestock you listed at the beginning of the thread... it doesn't seem like much for that volume of water, do you really need a calcium reactor? I know nothing about CR as I only have ever dosed 2 part..
Seeing as that alk is creeping up again. Perhaps the issue is in fact the alk instability. Unless of course you have mass amounts of LPS kicking around in there that I may have missed reading through the thread

Back