Uncle Ned's Fish Factory

sixspeed

Non-member
Have any of you guys been to Uncle Ned's in Millis? I heard from some freshwater guys that it is really good, but i dunno if that holds true for their saltwater selection.

Last time I stopped in they didn't have much SW, mostly fish. They used to have a deccent reef tank, but I don't know about now.

Haven't been in about 6 months. They use to have a reef room with 3 tanks. A bit expensive on the corals. They have a nice freshwater selection.

Scott

can anyone compare it against tropic isle?
Tropic Isle has a HUGE selection of saltwater fish. They are also top dollar, but many folks have said the price buys good quality. Tropic Isle has a small selection of corals and such, again these are wicked expensive.

I don't think Uncle Ned's has any coral nowadays, and it sounds like they have just a couple of saltwater tanks for fish.

I'd recommend you take a drive out to Auburn, MA and visit Krystal Clear, drive down to Seekonk, MA and visit Coral Reef Aquarium, drive up to Hudson, NH and visit Aquarium Gallery, and drive over to Salem, NH to visit Jay's Aquatics and Aqua Addicts. Much more salt water selection at these places.

Ned does fresh water and plants REALLY well.

If you really really want a NeoLamprologus Ocellotus ( or any uncommonf fish ) he is your man.

African selection is usually top notch.

Salt.......ehh....I think he has a few tanks....

Agree with the general sentiment: if you want rare freshwater fish, especially killies, apistos, and unusual plecos, Ned's is incredible. Salt water is not their focus, but they do have the basics in the unlikely scenario you live near Millis, MA.

Haven't been to Neds in I don't know how many years. His freshwater selection is usually well unless hes just low on stock, Apistos, plecos, killis, discus, used to carry wild altums, some nice leopoldi rays etc etc. If I remember correctly someone used to rent out the space to carry saltwater fish. There was an incident with them so I haven't been back since. You should also check out Fintastic Fish in Plainville he actually sold his display tank (180 I think) and it was the best looking tank I've seen in person. His tanks are very clean. Just give them a call ask for Barry and see what hes got in stock b/c he seems to get an order in and sell it down before he places another order so he might not have a lot. And its a fish only/coral store.

Barry's 180

You're not kidding, that 180 was unbelievable, the nicest display I've seen (so far...)

Rick

Ned does fresh water and plants REALLY well.

If you really really want a NeoLamprologus Ocellotus ( or any uncommonf fish ) he is your man.

African selection is usually top notch.

Salt.......ehh....I think he has a few tanks....

Or Apistogramma Borelli......:D

I haven't made the drive out there in a while now. Live rock was a decent price the last time I was there.

Rick I'm glad someone else saw it lol. I don't know if he showed you the sump but it was very simple. You see some peoples tanks with every gadget in the world and you look at that set up skimmer, chiller, calcium reactor and he put together a beautiful tank.

I was just in Uncle Ned's about 2 weeks ago. He has some SW corals, not much for sw fish. Mainly fresh the day I went. I did manage to grab a nice blue/purple mushroom rock. I have bought a few things in there in the past few month's. A bit pricey though. Tropicle Isle IMO is better, worth the xtra 30 minute ride. I only pop into Uncle Ned's about once a month because it's right up the street from me. My next adventure will be Sea Creature's in providence. I'm dying to get down there. I hear it's pretty decent there too.

Last edited:
Back