ups backup power

metalfab

Non-member
Is this a popular backup alternative for at least running powerheads? What is a good size to get for a 90g. These storms are getting me itchy for a backup supply!!

yes, it is.

it should be a topic of our Reef Disaster Prevention discussion at this month's meeting.....

what do you run for powerheads, and how long do you want them to run?

I run an evolution 1400, k3 and k4. Worst case would be 8-9 hrs while out at work or asleep not knowing power is out, then I could get a generator running.

B11 battery back up air pumps. They cost $12 each, they turn on automatically when the power goes out, and they will save a tank.

1 or 2 will do it, and it will run for over 8 hours on a pair of D batteries.

the other reason for a UPS is the damn beeper from the UPS will wake you up.

it will save your tank, as long as the temp doesn't go too high or too low....

The B11's will easily run 12 hrs on a pair of D cells IIRC (I think longer actually).

One at each end of the tank will keep the water moving enough to keep the O2 level liveable indefinately IME. They won't heat the tank, but dropping O2 is the big killer. Air pumps may not save you if it's cold outside and you lose power for several days, but really nothing short of a generator is going to get you through that.

Jay would know far better than I, but IIRC UPSs usually don't last all that long if you have any significant draw on them.

Your other option is deep cycle marine batteries and a power inverter, but I'm not really framiliar with those set ups.

Thanks for the info. I will pick up 2 B11's. For the short money those are a no brainer untill I get a better long term backup plan.

Exactly, they are not the perfect solution, but for the $$ it's a no brainer.

we're going to try and put together a group buy at the meeting.

we're waiting for an answer from the sponsor....

Back