Using ocean water in reef tanks

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
I live 5 minutes from the ocean and was think the water would be better and eliminate the need to buy salt. What is the process to get the water usable for a reef tank? Filtration, parasites, bacteria, etc.

I was thinking the same thing myself today after reading through Paul’s thread. Just for a water change now and again. My concern is the gathering spot. Seems to be the biggest issue.

Collect on incoming tide and always test the water for salinity alk n calcium ( everything else you want as well ) some people filter it through a coffee filter to get some of the float Irs out

when I collected I can it through a filter sock with carbon. always collected on an incoming tide, then would just heat and add the water. it's been a long while since I've collected (10 years out of the hobby) but I don't ever remember testing for anything not that it's a bad idea.

I collect out of gooseberry island in westport, or fogland beach. Salinity is 1.025 and i don't filter or add anything. Just heat and dump, I've had no issues, but ymmv.

If the salinity is right and you are using ocean water, IMO there's no need to measure calcium, magnesium, or alkalinity, they will all be good. Even if the salinity is a bit low, I don't see an issue doing a 10-20% water change. You can always just add a bit more of the seawater and let it evaporate.

To be on the safe side however, I'd probably filter through a filter sock and through some carbon. Easy enough to do.

Back