Vitamins - necessary these days?

PSU4ME

BRS Member
Are vitamins necessary anymore, like selcon and vita-chem? With pellets like TDO and Larry’s food, I don’t feel the need to soak food anymore (unless you’re conditioning a fish).

How do you guys all look at it?

I use a combination of frozen food, spirulina mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, coral gumbo, etc. I also started soaking with vita-chem and noticed that the colors on some of my wrasses got more pronounced. My male blue star was kinda drab and now has amazing color. It could just be that the tank is more mature but for the price i'll stick with it.

I'd say no. Food options are a lot more developed than they were 10+ years ago with plenty of options to make create varied diet - but this does require a varied diet 1-2 dry frozen foods probably doesn't cut it.

However, I have used Vita-chem in the past with freshwater fish and it does work so there probably isn't any harm in spending $15 for a bottle to see how it works and just stop after the bottle is finished if you're not seeing any benefit.

I would try it for a couple months at half the recommended dose and see if you see a difference. I tried a few and all I got out of them was cyano lol

I'd say no. Food options are a lot more developed than they were 10+ years ago with plenty of options to make create varied diet - but this does require a varied diet 1-2 dry frozen foods probably doesn't cut it.

However, I have used Vita-chem in the past with freshwater fish and it does work so there probably isn't any harm in spending $15 for a bottle to see how it works and just stop after the bottle is finished if you're not seeing any benefit.
Agree with this 100%

Back