What a mess.

jimrawr

Non-member
I went on vacation for a month and left my cousin, who is staying at our house, in charge of the tank. I gave him instructions on how to feed, change water (which was all prepared for him), empty the skimmer cup etc. When I left the tank was looking very nice and clean, no algae except for a bit of cyano which I had all but cleared up before leaving.

When I got home, the tank is totally covered in algae all over the rocks. Some of it brown, some of it green. Some long, some that looks like moss.. I think what happened is that he accidentally adjusted the skimmer cup and the result was that it wasnt skimming very much at all for a month. There is a film at the top of the water and bubbly in the corners of the tank.

Any advice for me? Ive done a 25% water change today, may do another in a few days. Should I try a few turbos or a sea hare?

What a mess to come home to :(

Here are some pics

before:
IMG_4925.jpg

After Algae:
IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5679.jpg

Could anyone help me identify the types of algae so i can research what are the causes and remedies?

Looks like a mixture of hair algea the green grassy stuff

Biropsis the feathery green brown

The other stuff brown with Fur on it well...... here is a thread on it http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?35550-what-the-fur-is-this-stuff&highlight=Algae
You know if I remember an exact thread title from 4 years ago it isn't a good thing :(

Pretty much your only option with the last stuff is to get something to eat it. Naso seems to be your best bet if you have the space for one.

The other you are going to have to crack down on nutrient control

Last edited:
cut back feedings, aggresively skim. water change will help a little but isnt efficient means of export. add margarita snails and a tang would work. ive heard that urchins will eat algea as well. you could always try carbon pellets to help reduce nitrates/phos-worked for my Dad *just start slow. Good luck.

I'm going through an outbreak of my own. Sea hares work well but run our of food and die.

I'm thinking ofvgetting a tang of my own. Not sure what kind though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Well its a 92g so I dont really know about adding a tang.. Definitely going to try a few turbos and see if they can make a dent, if not then ill try the sea hare..

a sea hare wiped out my algae issues, and is now in an all you can eat buffet in my refugium

Back