What a mess....

JayM

Is the algae gone yet?
BRS Member
I use a 44g rubbermade brute that I bought at HD to do my water changes

They ALSO sell a wheeled dolly that attaches right to the bottom of the barrel, which makes moving it around a lot easier.

So, I had one of them in my kitchen, filled with WC water, circulating and coming up to temperature overnight for a water change. My wife awoke to a crash, and then a splash. 40+ gallons of water.....all over the floor. One of the casters' attachment points elongated, then sagged, then the bucket tipped over. lost my thermometer, 2 heaters, and about 42 gallons of mixed WC water......kitchen tile, dining room hardwoods and oriental carpet, family room rug, and then down into the basement

HUGE mess. :(

My surge strip for the tank blew and melted, power lost to the tank, hardwoods and carpets soaked and a rain storm in my basement.

I was sopping up water and wet-vacuuming my basement past 3 this morning.

Now I need to go and buy new surge strips, so I can start this all over again.

One particularly chilling comment from my wife.....

"This is why wives make their husbands break down tanks, isn't it?":eek:

Anyway, the moral of the story is not to trust the rubbermade dollies with a barrel FULL of water......wish someone told me that.....

Man does that stink!

Ironicly I was just playing with those in HD last week, Thought they would be handy as hell but at $27 for each piece barrel and dolly I decided to stick with my drum on a furniture dolly.

I guess that was the right decision

Yup...those caster are only meant to support the weight of trash. We used those in the shop I used to work in and just judging on how often they tipped over when we rolled them with a heavy load of trash would cause me to never use them with ell over 300 lbs of water in there.

I seen some drum casters that the drum sits in by about 2--3" and the casters are outside mounted to a perimeter ring (if that makes sense)
I guess there's a reason for that.

Dayum....

Sorry to hear that. We may have to have a beer to get over this one ;)

Dave

several beers, once I get caught up on sleep (and water changes:D )

This is also the last straw. I'm going to take a day out of work and tie this tank into my basement sump next week.

Bummer.. hope the wife cools down and you don't have anymore accidents.

This might be a good time to stop the bleeding on that leg too.. :p

Wow, that's too bad. Just in the FWIW category, never use a trash can that's not circular for holding water either! :eek:

That really sucks Jay! I echo all of the responses above. Good luck getting it cleaned up and running again!

Mike

2640dolly.jpg

Easy mobility and maneuverability of heavy loads

* Up to 350 lb. continuous load rating.
* All plastic construction resists rust, chipping and denting.
* Heavy duty wheels with swivel capabilities provide for ease of mobility.
* Ergonomic solution for moving heavy loads.

42 gallons * 8lb/gal is only 336lb.. :0

OUCH tho..

I use a rubbermaid Circular trash can with the wheels on only on side. It seems to work fine... But I am now a little worried.... Greg, why does the circular shape make a difference?

Scott

I use a rubbermaid Circular trash can with the wheels on only on side. It seems to work fine... But I am now a little worried.... Greg, why does the circular shape make a difference?

Scott

equal distribution of force of the water pushing out.

A rectangular plastic container will bow.
If too much the corners may give way or the top may crease and bend.

Anyway, the moral of the story is not to trust the rubbermade dollies with a barrel FULL of water......wish someone told me that.....

Jay, I use two of these, both on dollies. I've never had a problem, but I'm going to check the dollies next time they are empty. I've been pushing them around my basement for years.

Sorry to hear that just blows. Well at least it wasn't old water.

I use furniture dollys with a plywood top. I use them for everything, they make light work of a barrel of water or a 300+lbs tank.

I snapped 2 quick pics of the deformed housing in the dolly where the casters are. You can see where they came out of plumb, and the whole damn bucket fell over.

Still drying towels from sopping up water, and my 92 ran with no lights today, until I can go over to wally world and get a new surge strip.

Attachments

• dolly2.jpg
    dolly2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 448
  • Dolly1.jpg
    Dolly1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 449
Back