What do you feed you SPS and how often?

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
With all this time on my hands I have been able to do a lot of research. there is a ton of info out there and some of it is contradictory. Looking for some actual first hand experience. What do you feed your sps? How often do you feed? How do you apply the food? What process do you use?

As always thanks for the help.

I make my own amino acid solution to save $$$$. I bought some Two Little Fishies aminos and measured the specific gravity. Then I bought some dry amino powder on amazon and mixed up a batch to match the same strength. Now I don't know if what I made has the same percentage of specific amino acids the Two Little Fishies brand has, but I know the concentration as a whole is the same. Only been using for a few weeks so I can't say if this experiment is a success or not yet. The specific gravity is 1.005 just to let you know how dilute the solution is. I would like to know what the specific gravity of the Brightwell coral aminos is for comparison.

X3 for fish poop and nothing else. Like many I've tried all kinds extra stuff (reef roids, acropower, etc...) and other than noticing less money in my bank account I did not see any effect. Corals grow fine either way as long as water parameters are good. This hobby is full of fluff that should be mostly ignored...

Richard Ross had some fun articles called "Skeptical Reefkeeping" about this continuous stuff in the hobby...

Best thing is fish waste. If you have alot of sps feed your fish more. Also try to keep your nitrates and phosphates up a little. A good number for nitrate is around 5ppm and phosphates around 1ppm. Having both of these up you will see a big color and polyp happiness.

Last edited:
Just calibrated my Hanna @reefkeeper2 , here's what I got:
MVIMG_20200131_195003.jpg

Last edited:
Back