What Happened to Ecotech Quality?

wpeterson

BRS Member
Man, I bought an MP10QD for our 40breeder a little over a year ago and in that year I've had two wet sides fail with broken propellor shafts.

I chaulked up the first one to a harsh marine environment, but two in a year is terrible. It's such a hassle to ship one off for service with a two or more week turn around - especially since they usually require you to send the dry-side as well (which is why I just bought one out of pocket last time).

Have you folks had problems with Vortechs? I feel like this never happened with my original MP10wES models. The 2x MP40wES we had on our 90 were also unreliable and had a lot of noise/problems (multiple dry-sides replaced).

I hate to think about getting a whole new powerhead here but I am frustrated at this point.

That's strange ... when I had a problem with my L1, they sent me 1 first and asked to send the defective back later ... change in policies?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But to answer your question, only problems I have had are:

1) contractor knocking over my mp60 and cracking the dry side so now it's a brick

2) my mp40 wet and dry side losing their contact -- usually cleaning the glass fixed it for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think I'm done with Ecotech, I'll try out a dual Neptune WAV kit in our next, large tank. I suspect even one of those would overwhelm our 40breeder.

I'm going to switch to a cheap Jebao PP-4 and see what happens. It's cheaper to buy a Jebao powerhead than a third vortech wetside.

i have enjoyed my tunze nanostream 6040. i bought it about a month ago for supplemental flow in the corners. i have a mp40 that runs the length of the tank (not on full blast), but i use the tunze for the corner. they have a really nice wide flow, the flow is adjustable, and they can be mounted several different ways. i will probably pick up another one at some point for the other side of my tank. the only downside is having a cord in the tank. mine blends in with the black overflow behind a rock, but it would probably be noticeable in most tanks.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6040.html

I see these things in the marketplace forum all the time it seems they all say the same "new wet side" or "new dry side" this is nothing new with these. You want a good reliable power head Tunz is the best way to go.

Jim

only reason I use vortechs is to keep cords out of water and makes for a better fitting screen top . They are nice but like everything they have thier problems

I have one Mp-10esQD for over a year and also two mp-40 running for allmost a year now and not issues yet . Thy are the old mp40w es with QD wet and dry upgrade .
I clean them once every 2 or 3 months and they seem to work fine .
I hoppe ghey still like that because im not on the mood to buy a new wet or dry side lol

I never had this problem with the previous generation of MP10wES. I believe they compromised shaft durability for a quieter ceramic sleeve in the MP10wQD and thats why its so brittle.

ive had my two mp40wes for 6 years or so and never had a problem with them. I actually just bought the apex about a month ago and decided to get two wav pumps... pretty decent pump. real quiet but you have a stupid cord in the tank which I don't like at all

Never had any problem with mine when I had them. MP40es, MP40QD.
A lot of time, it's user error. You're either not mounting it right, not aligning it right, not using the right spacer. Or simply "not holding it right".

My MP10's are pushing 5 years! Be careful I bought a PP-4 as an extra before I purchased one of my MP10's and it lasted 3 months. Now in the trash.

I think I'm done with Ecotech, I'll try out a dual Neptune WAV kit in our next, large tank. I suspect even one of those would overwhelm our 40breeder.

I'm going to switch to a cheap Jebao PP-4 and see what happens. It's cheaper to buy a Jebao powerhead than a third vortech wetside.

Back