What is this in the center of my zoas?

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Seems to be a green center but the coloration is a bit weird compared to what I am use to seeing. There is only one polyp like this
confused.gif

Last edited:
denvig said:
Clear some of the other polyps off to one side of it and you may soon have more.

What is the best method of clearing a few polyps to the side of the renegade?
and is super glue fine to re-attach?

if you want to save those polyps you are clearing this is what i do.

if you have a dremel, i'd cut the rock first. you have a nice space between zoo patches where you could cut. seems like you could make a clean break...as long as you don't cut off a finger, which i am surprised i have not done yet.

i use a razor knife (or xact-o) to carefully work away at the base of the zoo. pushing/scraping more on the rock, trying to pull the polyp from the base. it should come off with little tissue loss. you can also separate the zoos by cutting the mat. even though the green guy is embedded, i tend to doubt he is attached to the red/pink ones. i separated five varieties (maybe 30 polyps total) from a tiny rock the size of a walnut, and all of the polyp mats were separate, although entwinded. i used a drill on the rock and the xact-o, however, i'm sad to say there were a few casualties...and one horrid decapitation.

i keep forgetting this, but people say BEWARE! zoos have deadly poison in them.
so maybe take precautions...like safety glasses and (sounds dumb) keeping your mouth closed. at least that is what i have been told to do. if you are diabolical, you could harvest the poison and use it on your mortal enemies.

super glue is fine, i use stuff called zap.
be careful, as i have accidentally sealed a zoo polyp shut with glue from my fingers.
they are TINY when closed. like the size of a pea, or smaller. the less glue the better.

it is fun though. i just fragged a single orange zoo last night and attached him to a shell as part of a gift starter pack for a fellow nano-reefer.

Last edited:
MOst definately be careful with zoas they are highly toxic!!! you want to cover your working area also and throw towels or whatever you use in wash ASAP use glasses , and gloves and if you have any cuts I wouldnt even play with them until the cuts are well healed 99% of the time nothing will happen but that 1% is enough of a scare..

Back