What lights are you using!

Seadna

Officer
BRS Member
Hi everyone, I’d love to know what lighting everyone uses. Currently I use
Lighting: 2 ai prime 16HD’s
Tank size: 75 gal with 20 gal sump

I want to upgrade/change lights in the near future and just want some feed back on all lights other local reefers are using and the benefits/headaches they find come with their choices!
398ADE50-D43C-42F9-9F1C-4FBC8E810F10.jpeg

I have a 125 gallon (6ft) mixed reef and I’m using 2 reef breeder photon 32s. It’s not exactly enough but this is the lighting I had already when I acquired a new tank. The ends are a little shadowed but sometimes I think some of the fish like that. Otherwise the rest of the tank is thriving.

Also, I can tell you that 1 reef breeder photon 32 light on a 40 gallon breeder fish tank is perfect.

I have a 125 gallon (6ft) mixed reef and I’m using 2 reef breeder photon 32s. It’s not exactly enough but this is the lighting I had already when I acquired a new tank. The ends are a little shadowed but sometimes I think some of the fish like that. Otherwise the rest of the tank is thriving.

Also, I can tell you that 1 reef breeder photon 32 light on a 40 gallon breeder fish tank is perfect.
I’ve also learned that it doesn’t matter what kind of lighting you have if you don’t keep your parameters in check. Even then best light won’t grow corals if your parameters are “out of wack”.

I use a 48" ATI Sunpower 8 bulb fixture over my main tank, 5 blue +, 1 purple + and 2 coral +, and. 48"ReefBriteXHO picture below is two blue + and the reefbrites.
16769433619156604085690446382951.jpg

I had a 36" 4 bulb light over my frag tank running 3 Blue + and 1 Purple + in it. Now I'm running two EcoTech Radion Gen 4 Pro over it with a modified AB+ lighting schedule.
Picture below is the later in the day blues aspect.
16769434589496004281301109015693.jpg

My next display I plan on doing 3 or 4 orphek style bar leds....to mimic t5. And that should give a really nice color blend, and spectrum. But I plan to use herifi bars, or popgrow or something of the like......

I am currently running 2 xr15's but, I just broke my tank down to set up a bigger tank. In the meantime, I put all my coral into a smaller holding tank and put an AI prime over it. Honestly, I like the esthetics of the blue the prime puts out. Get's me thinking, switch to AI's or buy another XR15 for the new build? Hmmmm..

G5 + AI Prime Reef to add shimmer and color
G5 + T5, previously AI Hydra + T5
T5 + Reefbrite blue bar to add color

AI, Radion, Kessil, T5, ReefBreeders, etc will all grow corals. As the corals grow larger there are problems with shading and self-shading. This is when you’d look into adding T5 or LED bars to the existing AI Primes, or adding more AI Primes like BRS used to suggest.

I am currently running 2 xr15's but, I just broke my tank down to set up a bigger tank. In the meantime, I put all my coral into a smaller holding tank and put an AI prime over it. Honestly, I like the esthetics of the blue the prime puts out. Get's me thinking, switch to AI's or buy another XR15 for the new build? Hmmmm..
AI lights do have a nice blue. I added 2 Primes to my G5s and run them at low power just to add some shimmer and color that the G5 Pros didn’t have by themselves. But, this is from previously using Kessil, which have a really pleasing blue and extreme shimmer.

AI lights do have a nice blue. I added 2 Primes to my G5s and run them at low power just to add some shimmer and color that the G5 Pros didn’t have by themselves. But, this is from previously using Kessil, which have a really pleasing blue and extreme shimmer.
I actually have 2 26's laying around.. Maybe I should run the 2 XR15's and 2 26's over a 6ft take. Then I wouldn't have to buy an additional light!

I have a 4’ x 2’ x2’ 120G mixed reef. lights are 12” above the water line. I run 48” aquatic life hybrid with 3 blue plus t5’s and 1 corl plus t5 in it. in the center I have a reefbreeders photon v2+
F5DBD067-FCF6-4987-9659-203D0B4BC90D.jpeg
947E071C-0572-46AF-85E5-4D04CE020B14.jpeg
68E7C26C-9C4D-4B05-9E0C-8E25CCA92D5C.jpeg

over my RSR 250 I have 2x XR15 blue (G5) in a 2ft T5 - 4 bulb unit. The Radions run from 11 - 8 and the T5s from 1 to 7 for that boost. I like color and vibrance of the corals under this unit. Ihad a smaller tank with AI primes and these Xr15s are 1000000x better and brighter for the bigger acro tank. Im getting 275 - 375 PAR in my tank from sandbed to top of rock. Mostly everywhere is 300+.

I run a mix of led and t5.
On SPS tanks:

Reefbreeders Photon LED with Reefbreeders Luminbar LED bars
ATI Dimmable t5 with Reefbreeders Led bars
Maxspect Razors led with Reefbreeders led bars, the Maxspect led are over 12 years old and I keep them alive by repairing them with spare parts. When I run out of parts, they will be replaced by Reefbreeders photon led.

On LPS and soft coral, I run AI Hydra LED.

I have 2 xr15 gen 5s and a 36” giesemann stellar with 2 blue plus, 1 coral plus, and 1 true actinic ATI bulbs. I ended up getting the narrow end plate for the giesemann as well since the back t5s were directly over the overflow box.
99369B93-EEF2-46AF-AD59-4F0B993862A7.jpeg

I run a nicrew 100 watt led over my 10 gallon and have two more that I will be putting over my 40 breeder I like them.

I'm running 3 Viparspectra 150W fixtures over my 125g. I really like them; but I want to back to MH, if I could only find a Current Sunpod 72" 3 X 150W DE fixture. Love the look of Phoenix 14K DE MH bulbs.

I’m running a Kessil A360WE on my 25 lagoon. Lights five years old still runs silent even after dropping it in the water when I was away from home. Took it apart and cleaned it. Still works mint. Though.. I am debating if I want to switch it to the AI Prime 16 HD. Not sure if it’s worth the money for the switch over? Anyone has any inputs between the two lights?

Hi everyone, I’d love to know what lighting everyone uses. Currently I use
Lighting: 2 ai prime 16HD’s
Tank size: 75 gal with 20 gal sump

I want to upgrade/change lights in the near future and just want some feed back on all lights other local reefers are using and the benefits/headaches they find come with their choices! View attachment 189907

Beautiful tank. I use AI prime sol Only one because I have a 53 gallon cube

Back