What are people using for lights?

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I am setting up a new tank, and getting all new equipment. I had MH, Radions, AI Sol, DIY LED, and now I want to try something else. It is going to be a 60 cube, and I was thinking of a Pacific Sun Pandora S. I haven't made up my mind yet, and I have some time. So what are others using, and do you like them, and what would you get if you had to do it again?

TIA Derek

Elos Planet II 2x250W MH and 4x39W T5 powering a 63"x32"x24" tank. Running Pheonix and UVL super Actinic and ATI Blue Plus. Probably the best light in terms of spread and penetration for my footprint tank. No issue with keeping anything anywhere. I'm not sure if the light is too strong or the tank is too clean but usually, new LPS I put in the tank spend about a month slightly bleach then color back up. I'm talking about open brains and acanthrophyllias, frogspawn/hammer/torch.

I wish I went with a bigger tank so that I can use my Geismann Spectra with 3x250W MH and 4x80W T5. It would be overpowered if I put it on the current tank. Maybe a 78"x40"x24" in the work. Who knows. :D But it's a little tough to get the approval from the financial advisor after just setting this one up.

What is your tank dimension?

I haven't bought it yet but I was going to get a 60 cube. i sold my 120, and are downsizing.

where did you buy the Elos light from?

Last edited:
I bet a nice 150 watt mh or a comparable LED paired with 4 24" T5's would do the trick nicely. I'm building a 60g cube myself right now and haven't decided which to go with (I have a 150MH double end, and a 108 dimable LED on hand so all I need is a retrofit kit for the T5's.)

What kind of cube are you gearing towards?

I am not sure yet. I have gotten quotes from Miracles, Reef Savvy, and Coast to Coast. I am leaning to Miracles, and doing a Life Reef Sump. Now I am starting to second guess myself, and thinking going with an Elos, or Cadlights. So I am not sure what I want to do. I like the Pacific Sun Light, but read a lot of bad stuff about the software. SO I am going to take it slow.

Derek,
I don't reccomend anything Elos unless you can find it at your lfs right now. Their service is very poor since Jesse was gone. Trying to get anything from Coralvue or the aqua studio is quite the hassle.
Also, the planet II has been discontinued and replace by planet pro which has LED strips. I think a Geismann MH/T5 is still very nice.

If you really want to look at Elos. Take the 3hrs drives down to Elos NYC. They should have the latest model available which should have nicer stand. I will go with you if you want. :D

Thanks I am getting more confused the more I read. I might talk to jeff at life reef and see if he can make a sump with an ATO ALK and Cal container and then just wait. I am on the list for July, so I have awhile

If you really want to look at Elos. Take the 3hrs drives down to Elos NYC. They should have the latest model available which should have nicer stand. I will go with you if you want. :D

I was thinking of it, I drive you buy lunch

derek,
I would suggest going with either MH/T5 or LED/T5 on your future 60g cube. Elos tank are nice but way way too expensive.
For people like you and me that always want to upgrade and or downgrade pretty much every other year, not sure it's worth to buy Elos tank.
Uniqueaquaria has a few elos in their store as their display tanks if you want to check out Elos tanks. (elos mini and elos 100 (75g)

Derek, I'm really liking the ati fixture I've been running. Still think Mh is the best, but I'm running half the wattage of the two 250 MH's with great color and growth in all sorts of different corals.

Not sure if you looked at them or not, but those Red Sea reefer series tanks look like they're gonna be killer. Tropic isle is doing a pre order promo at a pretty good discount too. I am considering one myself. Best of luck whichever route you choose!

Thanks everyone, I will check out the tanks at Tropic Isle. Is that the place thats the Elos dealer? Vedau as far as upgrading I am done!!!! I know I like to tinker, and change, but this is it. As far as cost I did OK with my sale, and a Elos Tank will be almost half of what a custom tank and sump would be. The Life Reef Sump gets real pricey.

Thanks Derek

I'm using a aquamedic 250w halide with a 14k radion bulb with 2 built in t5ho's in the fixture 13" over the water on my 60g cube, and i'm pretty happy with it.

Right now i'm using a Maxspect R420R 27" LED on my 16g, and have an AI Prime on order for my 10g. My 5g EcoPico has a stock 3 strip LED unit from Ecoxotic. The 29g has a Current Nova Extreme 6x18w T5.

Last edited:
I thought the Pac Sun light was going to be the answer, and I like the look, and output of it, but I am hearing bad things about them. Does anyone here have experience with them? I am also not so sure i am going with the 60 cube like I thought. I am looking at the foot print and thinking it might not work for me.

Thanks for all the info, any others?

Derek

Back