what ph and magnesium test kit do you use?

jenreef

Non-member
right now i use the api ph test kit which i hate it so much because it is very hard to read sometimes. i am looking into the salifert ph test kit but i want to see what everybody else uses as a ph test kit

right now i do not have a test kit for magnesium but i was thinking of buying the salifert one. but i am also wondering what test kit people use for magnesium

thinking about it i probably won't need to buy a ph test kit because the reef keeper lite 3 has a ph probe. so my only question is what test kit for magnesium

Yup, the controller will give a constant reading on the PH and will be far more accurate than most off the shelf test kits.

IME Elos makes a good Mg kit. It's a little tedious to use, but IME it's accurate, consistent and not overly hard to read. Salifert also makes an OK Mg kit as well, but I lost all confidence in them when they had quality control issues a few yrs ago.

I just picked up an ELOS Magnesium, no idea how accurate, but John is correct that it's kind of involved. About 30 drops, empty, refill, 5 drops, powder then drops of another solution, then some math... not terrible, but it does take some time. Good thing is, the color change is distinct.

Elos for mag, and salifert for the rest.......................you want to get good test kits

Apex controller for PH, but I use/used an API PH test kit (though far less accurate). For Mag I use Saifert (seems plenty accurate). For Calcium I use API (seems plenty accurate).

ph is easy enough to test for.so whatever your heart desires, just keep the sensor on the probe clean and check the calibration every so often. I personally use the salifert magnesium test kit. As mentioned I was not happy with them a couple years ago nor were many people. I used the tropic marine ca/mg test kit was a little tedious but accurate. You don't need to spend mega bucks on every test kit, just certain ones :)

Yup, the controller will give a constant reading on the PH and will be far more accurate than most off the shelf test kits.

IME Elos makes a good Mg kit. It's a little tedious to use, but IME it's accurate, consistent and not overly hard to read. Salifert also makes an OK Mg kit as well, but I lost all confidence in them when they had quality control issues a few yrs ago.

.....I use a ph moniter and a salifert test kit, john is right that they (salifert) had some issues a few years ago but all is resolved and they fixed the faulty test kits and improved them also by adding color changing regents so the tests are easier to read, and they now come with a "check solution" to make sure the kit is good.......and FWIW i use a salifert kit for alk, mag, calcium, nitrate, and phosphate although Po4 is hard to measure accurately no matter which kit you use.....

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back