What will eat hair algae

bettez8789

BRS Member
Hello all so I have a reef tank and I’m looking to get something to eat the hair algae but not touch my corals what’s everyone think thanks

Tuxedo urchin leaves clear paths on my rocks for me highly recommend one!! Nocturnal though but so far mine has stuck to cleaning my aqua scape.

Got mine from sea creatures best price I’ve seen around too.

Last edited:
I have 5 turbo snails they only do stuff at night and just the glass mines on my rocks

Are you sure they’re actually Turbos? Picture? Turbos will cruise anywhere and love GHA (e.g. Derbesia) but probably won’t eat Bryopsis.

Also emerald crabs love anything green (and get a bad rap in my opinion - they’ll climb on corals but don’t seem to harm them).

Hydrogen peroxide is always your ally against stubborn algae (but you need a tool to keep it in contact for a few minutes).

I have 5 turbo snails they only do stuff at night and just the glass mines on my rocks
Do yours look like these
758C5C8A-88A0-45B1-929A-3E9C8FE6C4E2.jpeg

Little hard to see but looks like a zebra turbo. Have one, extremely big, black and white and completely nocturnal. Not really sure what it eats but my Mexican turbos destroy GHA. You might try those instead.

First is the right side of my tank second is left the urchin has only been on the right side so far. All of the perfectly clean spots on the rocks are from the urchin I cannot speak highly enough of them. Tuxedo urchin for the win!!! My tank is only a 40 breeder so not big enough to sustain two so I’m being patient with the one. I do think the turbo snails are cleaning up even more behind the urchin they seem to be sticking together almost. This tank is only max 4 months old so still battling the uglies.

Attachments

• C230B8F9-D0B7-4A2F-9FB4-94CA61736646.jpeg
    C230B8F9-D0B7-4A2F-9FB4-94CA61736646.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 527ED8AD-9F08-44AC-BCC3-79CF5FE6DF7A.jpeg
    527ED8AD-9F08-44AC-BCC3-79CF5FE6DF7A.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 66
About once every two years or so I purchase a large number of Astrea snails all at once. In bulk these can be quite inexpensive. These come from the Florida keys. Yes, a number of them die, but compared to the cost of the large snails for me this makes the most sense. Once in a while I will also purchase some blue-legged hermit crabs (also from the keys and cheap). None of these critters (IME) will bother any healthy corals or invertebrates.

Last time I purchased the snails was a few weeks ago. From ebay seller: pickyouraddiction aka addictivereefkeeping.com

Back