whats the best size tank for a reef tank

What are the dimensions of that tank?

For a reef tank one consideration is for it not to be too high because you need a lot of light to get through to the deeper parts of the tank, also there will be lots of maintenance to do which involves getting your hands down to the bottom of the tank which makes anything over 24" a challenge for many people.

Most people will also say that having a wider tank front to back is better. It gives more room for the rocks and corals and leaves room for the corals to grow.

There is no one perfect size and much is personal preference and size and budget limitations.

There is no one perfect size and much is personal preference and size and budget limitations.
Great point. Lotsa wisdom in that sentence.

I think a great beginner tank (provided space and budget allow) is a 75. Same size left to right as the 55, but the front to back dimenson allows another 6" which is sorely lacking in the 55.

I think your 100 sounds great, though. Lots of space. Many fish choices possible.

The best size tank is the biggest that you can afford. I have never heard anyone complain that their tank was too big! People also wish they had a bigger tank.

Scot

The best size tank is the biggest that you can afford. I have never heard anyone complain that their tank was too big! People also wish they had a bigger tank.

Scot

Ah, yes...But people do complain about them being too tall. Just ask Daire!

tank

Yup! If my rockscape ever falls it is staying that way.

Tank is to tall for me!

I have a 210. Kind of wish I went with a 180. The 210 is a little too deep. Makes reaching the bottom a PITA.

Too tall +18 is bad IMO, and less than 18'' wide is bad IMO. Too tall and you can't easily work in it. Less than 18'' and its a PIA to work in.

I have a 30 gallon Oceanic cube. I'm in an apartment and it's what works now. I've had 55, 65, 54 bowfront corner, 29, and 12 Nano-Cube. I like the set up I have now the best. It's easy to maintain it's 20" wide x 18-1/2" deep x 20". I like being able to reach the corals and rocks and only be a little over the elbow deep. I hated the Nano-Cube.

I started out with a 70 gallon, which was just the right size. A nice mix of fish, some nice corals, neat rockwork. For me, it had good dimensions - long but not too long, not too deep for short little me to reach the bottom of the tank, and a nice back-front length. The only thing I would change would be wanting more depth. I liked the ratios a lot though, and if I ever get my dream tank (280g+) then it will be made to similar dimensions.

Now I have a 36 bowfront, and I like the dimensions a lot too. It's nice and wide, has a reasonable depth which will be good for a range of corals, and good back-front length, enough for some rad aquascaping.

Pretty much, it's good to be able to choose based on aesthetics, but IMO if you have enough imagination, you can make almost anything work, within reason of course.

>Most people will also say that having a wider tank front to back is better. It gives more room for the rocks and corals and leaves room for the corals to grow. <

Also, it is much easier to light a tank that is wide front to back. If you are using metal halide it is sometimes difficult to focus the light into a narrow band. With a narrow tank you end up with a lot of light hitting the glass and spilling out of the tank. You end up with a lot of algae on the glass.

If it is the tank I am thinking of, it is the same I am currently running: 72"x18"x18" . Mine is a 100 Gallon AGA. They haven't made one in years to my knowledge. If it is the same, I think its a fine option for a reef. Mine has been running since 2001.

-Joe

Back