What's the best way to regulate a stable ph in an 8 gallon nano reef?

ReefandClimb

Non-member
I tried the search and didn't see this as a post so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I have an 8 gallon nano in its early stages. I'm replacing evaporation with rodi fresh and once a week changing one gallon out for new rodi salt mix. In the last week my ph has dropped from 8.3 to 8.0. I assume that the rodi fresh is 7.0 ph so maybe that's bringing it down. I'm really not sure. Any suggestions for methods to stabilize a healthy ph are very welcome! Thanks!!

As long as you maintain your alk within normal limits you really don't need to worry about PH. It's normal for PH to fluxuate daily with a lower number when the lights have been out all night, and a high at the end of the day. Sometimes the PH will run al little on the low side if you have elevated Co2 levels in your home, but unless it's dipping below @7.8 you have nothing to worry about.

Your RODI PH is basically irrelevant. This is because it's not buffered at all so it's PH will change super easily since there is nothing to hold it at any particular number. Typically it comes out of the RODI unit at @7, but more often than not it will creep a bit lower due to picking up some Co2 from the surrounding atmosphere. When you add the RODI to saltwater, the buffer effect in the saltwater will set the PH.

Back