What's your dream skimmer?

The new AquaMaxx Cone skimmers that just came to the US are pretty impressive. I also like the new Nyos cones.

Octopus regal not the highest priced but top of my wish list. I am currently running a Jebao right now with good results. Only thing I don't like about it is I seem to have to adjust gate valve every time I clean it.

I like the new RO Elite series but I'm not completely sold on the benefits of a DC skimmer.
Also really like the Aquamaxx Co-2&3 When you say the new ones do you mean the blue Aquamaxx? ConeS?

I like the new RO Elite series but I'm not completely sold on the benefits of a DC skimmer.
Also really like the Aquamaxx Co-2&3 When you say the new ones do you mean the blue Aquamaxx? ConeS?

I have a RLSS skimmer with the DC pump and it's my favorite skimmer I've ever used. Unfortunately it did need the pump replaced under warranty. Hopefully the newer generation DC pumps are more reliable....

My dream skimmer is one that will not stop skimming after feeding PE Mysis(Maybe this stuff is just too filthy). Silent and draw 5W of power but big enough to keep up with a 500gallon with 200 fish in the tank. Yet, you can use it in a small tank of 20gallon. Self clean is a must. Hey, you did say a dream skimmer. :D

More realistically, I would love to see a bigger version of my Vertex Omega 150. This skimmer is rated for 150gallon but it's working awesome in my 200gallon set up. They make 180 and 200 but those are such small upgrade that I don't think it will be a benefit for me to upgrade to. I would love to an Omega skimmer that's rated up to 500gallons. I would upgrade it in a heartbeat.

The ConeS CO2 & CO3 as you mentioned were what I meant. I guess they were't in the US Until recent? At least that's what my rep from Marine Depot told me, but I cannot confirm it's accurate.

My dream skimmer is one that will not stop skimming after feeding PE Mysis(Maybe this stuff is just too filthy). Silent and draw 5W of power but big enough to keep up with a 500gallon with 200 fish in the tank. Yet, you can use it in a small tank of 20gallon. Self clean is a must. Hey, you did say a dream skimmer. :D

More realistically, I would love to see a bigger version of my Vertex Omega 150. This skimmer is rated for 150gallon but it's working awesome in my 200gallon set up. They make 180 and 200 but those are such small upgrade that I don't think it will be a benefit for me to upgrade to. I would love to an Omega skimmer that's rated up to 500gallons. I would upgrade it in a heartbeat.

You never know, that may very well be plausible!

And yes Vertex are awesome! I can 2nd that. They're just too far out of my price range for skimmers as I don't have that type of wallet. But if I did, they'd certainly be a quick choice!

The best skimmer I have ever owned, was on my big tank in wales. Turboflotor 5000 Twin. It was amazing, and is Ozone friendly, as long as you use the correct injectors, on the Twin Waverunner Pumps

Love your first skimmer ideas! Lol
So the Omega upgrade brings on another question of mine. Can a skimmer be too big? I don't mean X2 of tank volume but if I have a 90g total water volume what's the limit before I get to too big? I always thought bigger was better but then I did some reading and found out that if there isn't enough Doc in the water colum then the skimmer can't produce a foam head and effectively shuts it self down, until the Doc's build up high enough again? Thoughts :D

The ConeS CO2 & CO3 as you mentioned were what I meant. I guess they were't in the US Until recent? At least that's what my rep from Marine Depot told me, but I cannot confirm it's accurate.

You never know, that may very well be plausible!

And yes Vertex are awesome! I can 2nd that. They're just too far out of my price range for skimmers as I don't have that type of wallet. But if I did, they'd certainly be a quick choice!
The Omega 130 is on sale for 250$ I've been contemplating that one for a while. But that again brings me back to do I want a really big skimmer or smaller skimmer of great quality?
The ConeS (may also be named Co-1,2&3?) and the older Co line are different. The ConeS are the blue ones and the Co series are the white and yellow with the little cones on the bubble plate.

Last edited:
Well as much as I hate to say this... when I did my research my dream skimmer was a Reef Octopus 3000int. That dream is still in a box and not a reality yet... So I guess, dreams are just that... dreams and not reality.

1.5-2 yrs later.

Vertex Alpha 250 looks like a beast!!?? uploadfromtaptalk1429037954364.jpg

I've been eyeing on that but I heard mix statement on where it is being built and mix review with it. I'm having luck with the Omega line and would like to stay with it.

I've been eyeing on that but I heard mix statement on where it is being built and mix review with it. I'm having luck with the Omega line and would like to stay with it.
I just bought the Omega 150... I have to say it did have a little to do with seeing your tank video earlier! You must be doing some things right for sure.

Thanks everyone for chiming in and I'd still love to hear more about what people like for skimmers, Or what you dream about for future skimmers! ;)

The Omega 130 is on sale for 250$ I've been contemplating that one for a while. But that again brings me back to do I want a really big skimmer or smaller skimmer of great quality?
The ConeS (may also be named Co-1,2&3?) and the older Co line are different. The ConeS are the blue ones and the Co series are the white and yellow with the little cones on the bubble plate.

This one :) My vote really just goes to any skimmer running a Sicce. Those pumps are the best. I love everything they make.
aqumaxx-cones-co-1-protein-skimmer.jpg

I see ReefStarters post, and I raise him this photo:
INDPROT.JPG

Last edited:
Back