When to worry about a fish not eating !!!

rrioux61710

Non-member
Bought a new flame angel this week , took a chance by not QTing it . It’s been in my tank since Wednesday . I have fed frozen mysis , frozen brine , marine cuisine , live brine , scallop , pellets . It doesn’t seem to have any interest in any . I’ve seen him nip at walls, overflow , rock . Just won’t take food and I have also tried garlic soaked food. Wondering when to start worrying ! He looks completely healthy too!

I believe they eat algae as well,Try some nori, and attach it to a rock.
Forgot to mention that I have that in there now on a clip. It could have nipped at it at some point I just didn’t see it . How long can they go without eating , I read somewhere a guy added a flame angel to his tank and it didn’t eat til 2 weeks later !!!!

I would say it depends on the animals appearance. If it is scale and bones not long... if it is plump give it time. I have had clowns not eat for a week.

Keep an eye on the gut area, if it gets concave then try different foods etc.

Maybe ask what worked from where you got it from. Ideally they observe a feeding behavior before selling the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it depends on the animals appearance. If it is scale and bones not long... if it is plump give it time. I have had clowns not eat for a week.

Keep an eye on the gut area, if it gets concave then try different foods etc.

Maybe ask what worked from where you got it from. Ideally they observe a feeding behavior before selling the animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His appearance seems to be okay , his colors are great , no signs of disease , I would lean more towards plump , then scales and bones! I believe he was being fed on mysis . I’m sure they’re will come a point if he is starving , he will eat . He chose this little cave in the rock work and I’ve seen him nipping in there a lot .

We must be patience with our newly acquired critter. I understand the concern of a newly added fish not eating but given the parameters are good and there’s nothing harassing it, it will eat in time.
With fish that are reluctant to eat like some angelfish, it’s best to keep the fish in a self contained box like an acclimation box. Once in the box, you can monitor it more closely and target feed it without the food being eaten by something else or rot away.
I use the 400C to acclimate new fish until it eats food out of the water column aggressively.
https://yourfishstore.com/collections/fish-traps-acclimation-boxes
You can also get the fish out to it’s own tank but is hooked up to the system like a refugium. But I like to use the acclimation box because it gives the fish a chance to “see” its new environment and the existing fish a chance to get used to the new comer.
Angelfish can be tricky to get to feed. using live steamer clams, and oyster on half shell can entice it to eat. Some just like flakes. Keep trying the steamer clams in the box. My theory is that all fish are curious animal. When they’re in a box, they need something to do. With nothing else to peck, the angelfish will eventually peck on the clam/oyster on half shell and get the taste of it. Eventually it will finish the clam. Now it’s your turn to switch up on the type of food. Once I see it has feed on the clam, I’ll try the food that I feed to the tank. And once it eats that pretty aggressively, I’ll let it go free. This method is not 100%. I’ve lost fish that are eating in the box but then never come out of the rock. But my success rate with this method is a lot higher than just throwing the fish in there wihout knowing that it will eat.
Flame angels should be pretty easy to get to eat. I’ve had regal angelfish that went for 3 weeks without eating. But once I used the acclimation box method, I usually can get it to eat within a week.
I think your challenge now would be getting the fish out(?)

We must be patience with our newly acquired critter. I understand the concern of a newly added fish not eating but given the parameters are good and there’s nothing harassing it, it will eat in time.
With fish that are reluctant to eat like some angelfish, it’s best to keep the fish in a self contained box like an acclimation box. Once in the box, you can monitor it more closely and target feed it without the food being eaten by something else or rot away.
I use the 400C to acclimate new fish until it eats food out of the water column aggressively.
https://yourfishstore.com/collections/fish-traps-acclimation-boxes
You can also get the fish out to it’s own tank but is hooked up to the system like a refugium. But I like to use the acclimation box because it gives the fish a chance to “see” its new environment and the existing fish a chance to get used to the new comer.
Angelfish can be tricky to get to feed. using live steamer clams, and oyster on half shell can entice it to eat. Some just like flakes. Keep trying the steamer clams in the box. My theory is that all fish are curious animal. When they’re in a box, they need something to do. With nothing else to peck, the angelfish will eventually peck on the clam/oyster on half shell and get the taste of it. Eventually it will finish the clam. Now it’s your turn to switch up on the type of food. Once I see it has feed on the clam, I’ll try the food that I feed to the tank. And once it eats that pretty aggressively, I’ll let it go free. This method is not 100%. I’ve lost fish that are eating in the box but then never come out of the rock. But my success rate with this method is a lot higher than just throwing the fish in there wihout knowing that it will eat.
Flame angels should be pretty easy to get to eat. I’ve had regal angelfish that went for 3 weeks without eating. But once I used the acclimation box method, I usually can get it to eat within a week.
I think your challenge now would be getting the fish out(?)
I agree getting the fish out would be a challenge . Maybe do me more harm then good . Should I give it a little more time ? He’s been there since Wednesday . Still no signs of any sickness either so maybe just nervous . Is it normal for them to find a place they like to stay in. He found a cave in rock.

Yup. Dwarf angelfish are a little shy at first. They will come out more and more.
It’s hard to say if someone should leave the fish alone or take action without seeing the tank.
How many fish you have in the tank and what size? Is it being harassed?

Yup. Dwarf angelfish are a little shy at first. They will come out more and more.
It’s hard to say if someone should leave the fish alone or take action without seeing the tank.
50 gallon cube , I have 2 clowns , 1 firefish , orangedot blenny and the flame angel. Does Not get bullied one bit. The angel has seemed to develop a relationship with the fire shrimp. Pretty funny how wherever in the tank the fire shrimp is the angel wants to be . I added the blenny , the flame angel and the fire shrimp all on Wednesday . The angel was the last fish I wanted in the tank.

Funny too because as of today he has came out more and more , and traveled to the top of the tank more as well.

For flame angel fish, try live sponge. There should be live sponge in your tank if the tank is matured. May be that is what it is picking on the rock.
You can also get live sponge from other reefers' sump. I have a lot of them in my sump.

My tank is about 5-6 months old now. I started it completely with live rock . No dry rock . Had lots of life in the rocks . If I could find someone local with sponge that would be great

Back