Where do you get your glass baffles cut?

Just got a quote back from Glass & Mirrors in Somerville, MA. This is what I asked them;

--------------------------

Hi I need the following ¼ inch glass panel cut:

4(four) - 17”Lx12”H panel

2(two) -17”Lx14”H panel

1(one) -13”Lx12”H panel

How long will it take?

I need the edges smoothed out. Not sure if it matters, but this will be used for a fish tank.

-----------------------------

$138 total and 2 days turn around time. I guess they aren't as booked as last time I ordered from them. :)

I am still waiting on Woburn Glass.

i had the lowes cut mine as well. they carry 3/32 glass, i siliconed two pannels together for strength, making it almost a 1/4" for less than half the price.

dont forget to wear a mask if you plan on sanding the edges down yourself

29g tank cost me 20$ to put baffles in

higor my local glass shop is great they smoothe out the edges automaticaly and i believe i paid 30 dollars for 4 pieces of glass

i had the lowes cut mine as well. they carry 3/32 glass, i siliconed two pannels together for strength, making it almost a 1/4" for less than half the price.

dont forget to wear a mask if you plan on sanding the edges down yourself

29g tank cost me 20$ to put baffles in

Yeah...I am not too much of a fan of those 3/32 glass. I have tried them before and it didn't work. This is going to be a 40G breeder sump/fuge/frag tank and I rather not take a chance.

Even if you glue two of those 3/32 together still not the same as 1/4" glass. If you accidently hit those things with a LR or piece of equipment u r done. I have paid dearly for trying to save $ in this hobby and sometimes it's just not worth the headache. I would be very pissed-off if I go through all this and one of the baffles break on me.

higor my local glass shop is great they smoothe out the edges automatically and i believe i paid 30 dollars for 4 pieces of glass

That's about what I paid for 4 1/4" glass panels when I built my 20G long sump/fuge. This is a lot more glass and more panels now... I am curious to see the price difference between the 2 places once I get the estimate from Woburn Glass.

Just got the quote from Woburn Glass. $100 and 1 day turn around time. I guess that speaks for it self. I will be ordering it tomorrow from them.

Well, for a 20 long sump the thinner glass is only 12 x 8" so it's fine. I wouldn't use it in a 40b that's 18" wide instead of 12". I've never had a problem in 20 years doing this way.

I've had a 75G sump that was set up with think Lowes glass. Never had a problem with the baffles. In fact when taking it out I somehow managed to bust one of the side panels but the baffles were all fine.

Good for u Nick ;)...

Nah, I'm just messing with u. It never worked for me, but I'm sure I'm the exception man. I just don't trust those thine things...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I meant thin lowes glass. And while it did not crack on me I was never too comfortable with how thin the baffles were. I also never manager to bump any of them which thinking of it is quite an achievement in itself. I would NOT do it again.
If you are willing to sand the edges on your own the cheapest way would be to buy a 40 breeder, take it apart and cut the panels yourself. If I had a choice I would not use a glass sump again, the acrylic is much more forgiving and I don't have to be cautious and mindful of what I do every time I am around that sump.

Just for completeness incase someone else looks at this thread for glass shopes. I originally got my glass from Alliance Glass in Dorchester. Nice and quick turnaround, BUT the glass was cut terribly. Way off on measurements and one piece wasn't square. I got some glass recut at Logan glass company in East Boston. Super friendly, came in on a Saturday just to cut my couple of pieces for me because is was the only day I could pick it up and everything was exactly the dimensions I needed.

I've had Lowe's cut the baffles for the last two sumps I've built. I ran emery clothe over the edge to smooth them out. The only glass they carry is 3/32" It hasn't broken the years I've had these sumps but I've been careful cause I know it's rather thin.

I actually got four 3/16" double pane thick dividers cut at Marvell Glass in Merrimack NH. They ground down the edges so they weren't shape and notched the bottom corners where they'll meet the curved silicone at the bottom of the 20L tank. A much better finished product than the plain single pane window glass from Lowes with no extras. It cost me $27 instead of $16 at Lowes. The build of the sump came out superb other than messy silicone in the bubble trap area on the seam closed in by the panes. I attached some vinyl tubing to the silicone tube and tried to spread it with a Popsicle stick so it was secure. Who cares about messy silicone in a sump, it's not a DT!

Back