which pump for a return

I like the reeflo Dart but it is a bit much for circulation pump in Heathers 110. Although you can dial it back I would lean towards the new ReefFlow Snapper
2400gal\hr. @ 98watts.
I would definately stray away from any pump with fan cooling if noise if a factor.
Nice part about the ReefFlow's is that the water is separated from the motor little to no heat transfer and quiet too.

But if it is in the basement then i would use a MAK 4 any day.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ct_Code=SQ-REEFLO10-SW&Category_Code=Sequence

If the max flow out of a single megaflow overflow is supposed to be 600GPH, is the other 1800 lost to head pressure? Or does the pump get dialed back with a gate valve?

>i would presume he is running this pump externally.
or are you suggesting not running pumps that are suitable for both applications, and if so why?<

I actually presumed it would be submersed. Still, if external I would be afraid it would start to leak at a seal. I didn't know this particular pump could be either. If the pump was designed to be submersible though I would think it is quite likely to suffer from the design flaw that nearly all (perhaps with the exception of the Eheim) submersible pump have, heat generated in the pump tends to cause calcium carbonate precipitation and then jamming of the pump. This can also happen in external pumps, but IME it is far less common.

Last edited:
the quiet one 4000 seems to be a good choice
4000: 10 ft max head 1"outlets 1017gph 50W
50W!! that is pretty impressive. all for $56 through dr. f and s.

The quiet ones have all sorts of restarting problems. The OceanRunner 3500 has pretty similar numbers, and is MUCH more reliable, and not much more expensive.

Although, for those numbers, the Blueline NS800 may be an option. Its like a smaller version of the Mak4 (880gph max, 17ft max head, 40w)

well i went cheap on this sort of. i actually bought the quiet one and also an oceanrunner. i figure i will test them both out and see which i prefer. should have them mid next week.

Greg - thx for the info on the possible issues with using a dual pump externally.

Rich..1st i heard about the restart problems..must be with the newer model.. the older external i have has restarted everytime for 7 yrs.

Back