whole tank crashed....:(

seawillow

Non-member
I'm trying to figure out what happened to my 75 FOWLR...I woke up this AM to the smell of burning plastic. Of course I immediately unplugged everything pertaining to the tank. Everything in the tank was dead except the snowflake eel, 2 brittle stars and a choco chip star. I lost my Niger Trigger who was about six inches long. When I got him he was about an inch. :( I lost a pair of tomatoes, a huge purple tang and a few damsels. I moved the snowflake to the fuge of the 210 in the basement along with the starfish. I'm not sure if they'll survive or not. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the Stealth heater burned up. But, I'm under the assumption that everything else in the tank is trashed...the rock, sand, etc. The water smells like burnt plastic, my arm smells like burnt plastic from having it in the water. Anybody have any ideas as to whether the heater may have been the culprit....has this ever happened to anyone before???:mad:

sorry to hear.
You don't have any rio powerheads in the tank do you?
good luck with the snowflake

Thanks Liam...anyone have any opinions as to whether the rock and sand would be any good. I'm saying probably not....

I know it would be a ride, but if you want to transfer your remaining livestock to a temp tank, you could borrow my 125 until you figure out what you want to do.

30 gallons of RODI H20 and a spare heater if that's any help either......

Sounds like your heater stuck and burnt up. I thought the Stealths were bullet proof. I have a 150w on my 30g. I was thinking of buying Ranco digital temp controllers and attaching cords on them and reselling them. Just set your heater 2-3 degrees higher than digital controller and plug heater into socket side, that way you have double thermostats. I'm going to make one for myself and think about an eBay opportunity.

I dont understand why your fish died. Your temp was low but not critical and maxi-jets ok. Do you think the fish were electrocuted by the heater? What caused the burning smell?

From a technical standpoint, your system may very well be okay. Do a 100% water change and then run as much carbon as you can for as long as you can. Carbon is very good at adsorbing the chemicals that would come from burning electronics.

The most important thing to do at this point is see if there was any copper that got into the tank from the burning electronics.

Matt:cool:

I agree with Matt, I had a disastorous crash a year ago July 4, lost all my collector acros and was going to quit. Within a couple of weeks I had pods all over the glass and rocks! Don't despair, better times are coming. Good luck!

Well, first of all, thanks to all of you for the advice. Special thanks to JayM for the offer of borrowing a tank. I agree, this club is great !!:D From what we've surmised, the return pump (which is a Rio) burnt out. It's funny, because it still runs, but it definately is putting out a burnt plastic smell. This must have somehow contaminated the water because that, too, stinks! The only livestock I have left is the snowflake (Eli) and the 3 starfish. I've decided to break down the whole set-up and just have the 210 reef. If anyone would like to take the rock and give it a try, your welcome to it. I'm not sure how many pounds are there, but there are some real nice pieces. There is quite a bit of sand also and there are still pods running around which is strange. Thanks again for all the replies!!

If it's still aound on the weekend, I'll take on the LR rehab for my 210.......

It must be a oil filled Rio pump. The oil leak out the casue the crash.

From what we've surmised, the return pump (which is a Rio) burnt out. It's funny, because it still runs, but it definately is putting out a burnt plastic smell.
I learned that Rios are known for this. I strongly suggest that you replace the pump with another brand.
This must have somehow contaminated the water because that, too, stinks!
I'm not exactly sure what got in the water, but carbon will very likely be able to sorb most, if not all, of the contaminant based on my guesses for what was introduced.

Matt:cool:

Back