Why cant I keep digita alive?

Aquaman, I know that my alk is too high, i have been trying to bring it down, by shortening my photo period. Since my calcium is a little low, would adding a Ca supplement lower my alk?
Water changes will lower the kh. With a low Ca your system isn't balanced & that could be your problem. FWIW If you see flesh peeling you probably don't have nudis ......Just the same, check the pics that others have posted & see if you have any. They are real easy to see on digi's The caps they will hide underneath & are harder to notice.
HTH
B

I will do a 20 percent water change later today, and I will also dip my digis in the betadine dip.

Ill update later tonight.

thanks,
Donal.

As far as lowering alk, I would do some mater changes as long as your fresh salt water is where you want it. IO is around 10dkhI think. I imagine you are dosing something for your alk to get that high, a 2 part or kalk?

Cutting your photo periopd would do the opposite of what you want I believe. The longer the lights are on the more growth you will have. As stony corals build skeletal material, they utilize bicarbonate lowering your alkalinity.

Right now, my lights are on for 6 hours 30 minutes, I have mixed reef, so just about half SPS half zoanthds/softies. So If I legnthened the period of time the lights are on, the alk would become lower?

I actually do not add anything to my water at all, absolutly nothing besides tap water and IO salt.

I even got my water tested with three seperate test kits to be sure my alk level was correct, and it was, about 12dKH. I have heard that 12 is too high, and I also read ALOT that a lower alk around 8-9dKH is premium. So, would adding a Ca supplement lower my alk?

thanks,
Donal.

Bringing your Ca up to balance (400ppm or so) will help your corals construct faster and in turn suck alkalinity out. 1220 Mg should be plenty to avoid any Ca level issues although a little bump there couldn't hurt either. I try to keep my Mg between 1300 and 1350ppm.

You could always add some more stonies - that keeps my alk from going up for sure.

I had a clam, but it didnt get along with my heniouchus.

I ahve some "Kent Marine Liquid Calcium"

would that be the same thing as the liquid Ca?
When I add it, how fast should I see results for a change in alk? hours, days, weeks?

thanks,
Donal.

I had a clam, but it didnt get along with my heniouchus.

I ahve some "Kent Marine Liquid Calcium"

would that be the same thing as the liquid Ca?
When I add it, how fast should I see results for a change in alk? hours, days, weeks?

thanks,
Donal.

what is your calcium at now? it may not be advisable to raise it if it is already fairly high

I will have to double check, but If my calcium is fairly lcose to 420, would it be safe to add?

Yeah, that Kent is just liquid calcium chloride. I would slowly bring the Ca up to between 400 and 420 ppm at a rate of no more than 30 ppm per day. It's hard to say how long it'll take for the alk to drop - depends on a lot of factors. I wouldn't expect (or really want) it to drop 4 points over the course of a few days though. You're probably looking at more like a week or two at least.

At 420 ppm Ca - you're good to go. I wouldn't add a thing.

Do you get a lot of coraline growth?

Last edited:
none what so ever... ill have to do water tests tonight, but right now its time for me to study.:(

400 Ca is a good level - no real issue there. If it was me, I probably wouldn't add anything yet and just do a water change. Check your levels again after that. In my sps tank, I'm aiming for around 9-10 dKH and 420 ppm Ca. Even with a big a** reactor going I need supplements to keep it there. It drops on it's own so I've never had to try to bring it down.

Do you know what your daily pH range is, especially the low point in the morning right when the lights come on?

It's possible that you may be dropping into the mid to upper 7's at night, causing some of your substrate to dissolve and release Ca and alk.

Raising your calcium will bring your Alk down. Do have any calcium chloride? I have plenty if you need some . You could do a water change to bring it down as well. Go slow whatever you decide.

I just did a 5 gallon water change and tested my alk, its the same. Im going to test my tap water, it could be that.

my TAP WATER has an alkalinity of 2.6dKH... should it be zero, could this be the cause of my higher alk?

thanks,
Donal.

Last edited:
raising your calcium could cause precipitation.I would cease all dosing and let you corals lower your alk

Im not dosing anything right now... but, is the added 2.6dKH in the tap water too much? If it is, im buying an ro/di asap.

right now, im using water straight from the tap... I know im due for getting an ro/di, or atleast using distilled water...

Back