Why do people put that egg crate stuff under there rocks

I used a few pcs of plexi from HD vs the egg crate. Heard bad things about egg crate under the sand.

Supposedly helps disperse the load so there are no pressure points on the glass. I didn't do it though because I didn't want to run the risk of the sand blowing off to expose it

agreed with all of the above :)

Personally I feel much safer having the rock on egg crate -- it also keeps them from sliding. That being said, having detritus built up in there can most definitely be a serious issue, because a lot of your CUC won't be able to get in to clean up the "crap" ... so a lot of people (myself included) have started using egg crates only directly under the rock, to minimize dead spots created by egg crate while keeping the rocks off the glass and providing a rigid surface so the rocks don't slide.

That being said, I or anyone I know personally is yet to crack the bottom of the tank from putting rocks directly on the glass so it's really your personal preference :)

- Archit

While I can see snails having a hard time getting detritus from all the eggcrate squares, our tanks are filled with tons of worms and other tiny critters that I'm sure have no problem. IMO I think it's a myth that crap gets trapped in there. Only thing I personally worry about is the plastic itself leaching phosphates which I've heard ppl claim.

Yeah I've never done it and I've never had a problem but it makes sense. So do people do it with acrylic tanks or just for glass?

Back