Why does something so beautiful have to be such a nuisance?

TopheReef

Non-member
Found some red bubble algae and it looks beautiful under the actinics. I have a tank set aside that I grow macro algae and culture copepods in,... I was thinking about maybe bursting a few of these bubbles in that macro tank and see what happens.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366861610.873523.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble...but.:p
As long as it don't spread like wild fire it should be cool.
I had the same issue with halimeda.It looked really cool under actinics.
But,I guess it can become an issue if it starts growing everywhere.

I hate to burst your bubble...but.:p
As long as it don't spread like wild fire it should be cool.
I had the same issue with halimeda.It looked really cool under actinics.
But,I guess it can become an issue if it starts growing everywhere.

No pun intended? I ended up removing it from my tank and put it in my macro algae tank. Im isolating the torch coral it was attached to, just to make sure it doesn't come back after. Im kinda hoping it will take over my macro algae tank, it would make a neat night light in the kitchen.

Nice bubbles. The definition of pest is different from people to people. If it looks nice, it is a keeper.
Zoas are actually pests in the ocean.

I've never seen that red bubble algae do much spreading. Has anyone?

People consider mojano (spelling) a pest, but want their other zoas to spread everywhere. Go figure.

Last edited:
People consider mojano (spelling) a pest, but want their other zoas to spread everywhere. Go figure.

I think the issue is with the Majano (non zoa) is its powerful sting. I heard rumors of them damaging delicate fish and even zapping a person on sensitive skin. However the Zoas can be pretty dangerous too especially if their palytoxin gets into your system. I yaked for a good 12 hours once after spending the day propagating Zoas, I was we'll prepared too!

Back