Wife approved upgrade arrives!

I am using a bone stock iPhone6s whose lens is no doubt covered in either pocket lint, surf wax or both.

The filter idea is interesting - got me thinking that maybe I should try pushing some icons on my phone camera to see if that made any difference. This is a bit better FTS.
IMG_03681_zpsghw9lhrg.jpg

Pay no attention to the stuff in the background - still working on stuff! It won't look like that in a few weeks.
I kinda hate this fish. She bites...literally. I have to wear a ring to distract her otherwise its a pretty decent pinch - and she's learned to go for inside the elbow.
IMG_03661_zps9mhsllci.jpg

And one more in honor of Paul B's history presentation. Some reef keeping prior to iPhonachrome. I actually kinda like how it portrays the algae :) I guess back in the day, algae wasn't a big deal.
FullSizeRender_zpslwxwqpru.jpg

Also, need to shorten the loc-line on that return! Gads it goes half way across the tank! But gonna need to use a tool for that. Or I could just go with no loc-line at all, crank the Vectra up to warp 6 and blast water out the door.

Your updates are very entertaining! And the tank is looking awesome, algae and all!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I am using a bone stock iPhone6s whose lens is no doubt covered in either pocket lint, surf wax or both.

This is your problem. When I do quick photo of my tank to send to someone over text, it always turns out more bluer than it is. There are apps that you can download that allows you to change the white balance but I have never used it and don't want to pay for the app.

Set up came out great!

Awesome work, love the cat walk.
Wish I had thought of that before setting my 180G into it's final resting place.
Now the algae wall that is the back of my tank will forever taunt me.

That clown looks straight up evil.

9pxhOz9.jpg

We all have things in our lives that we only do once. Like getting married, or most things following the words "hey hold my beer..."

I've added one more thing to the list, taking filter socks from the package and placing them directly into their respective holders.
Holy foam batman. I've not been able to run the skimmer for over 24 hrs... and that's after two 12 gallon water changes (previously scheduled...)

Lol. Yeah, those filter socks need to be washed pretty good before you can throw them into the tank. When I ran filter sock, I bought the filter pad, cut it up and sewed many socks out of the large pad. We have a sewing machine. :)

Ah! I'll pass that along to my wife - re sewing them. She's very good at sewing and extremely keen on reuse etc. The Earth slow claps for her on the regular.

I am starting to get mildly concerned.... I removed the socks yesterday. Still foaming, I think my sump has gone rabid. This is annoying.

Don't put that clown in the sump then - you don't want a rabid bite!

I also enjoy your updates. There is some serious water movement in there.

The Great Skimmer Volcano has finally gone dormant. Replaced the carbon reactor's carbon and increased contents therein somewhat, continued with the daily 12 gallon water changes post cycle completion.
Added a lawnmower blenny and cole/yellow eye tang yesterday - they both are acting normally doing their jobs.

Awesome! One side note, pay attention to the Lawnmower Blenny and Yellow Eye Kole Tang. They are known to attack each other, as they are competitors of the same food.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Well isn't that just ducky - yeah the interwebs say all sorts of the same things...GRRR....all my fault.

So far, they are taking advantage of different niches - although currently it is a bit of an embarrassment of riches algae wise. The tang is exclusively rock work and nocturnal glass oriented, whereas the blenny is sand bed focused. Observation thus far they've been in transient close proximity numerous times whilst feeding and neither took any notice of the other.

The situation shall be monitored closely and decisive action taken as required.

Time for an update. Starting to win the algae battle - manual removal, cleanup crew, new fish, GFO,.. its all helping. Far from gone, but its getting better. The view coming into the room.
IMG_04721_zps0iyerzxj.jpg

Last edited:
Back