willrays 120 build

....looks good....i love when people take their time on the set-up....it goes a long way.....you wont have to rip half the stand apart to re-place or re-do something that you hacked in the first place....keep the pics comming...

more on my canopy

looks good Bill
Thanks Andy!

....looks good....i love when people take their time on the set-up....it goes a long way.....you wont have to rip half the stand apart to re-place or re-do something that you hacked in the first place....keep the pics comming...

O.K. Heres more.

These Noctua NFS-12B fans are incredible.100 cfm @ 18 db or 75 cfm @10 db or 50 cfm @ 6 db with a 6 yr warranty.For once I think the manufacturers specs are accurate.

Attachments

• Noctua fans.JPG
    Noctua fans.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 731
  • fans inside.JPG
    fans inside.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 747
canopy vent/louver

I was going to use a oak floor register but really didn't care for the look.But the main reason for not going with a register was that the louver vents go in 2 directions and I didn't want the light out of the louvers to blare the eyes.

It is much better to pull/draw the air over over the lamps as opposed to blowing.
So this was my solution.

A rectangle cut out with a slight slant to it and a matching insert that way nothing is required to hold it in place just press in and or pull out.It can only be inserted so far and can not fall inward.

I routed the louvers at an angle.The vents go up so there will be no light glaring into the peoples eyes.

Bonus will be the ease of accessing the end for whatever reason...to look at bulbs...easier feeding....

Some day I'll have to figure out how to post the text under the pics to make it easier.Till then sorrow!

As always thanks for looking.

Attachments

• vent cut out.JPG
    vent cut out.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 718
  • vent out.JPG
    vent out.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 723
  • vent in place.JPG
    vent in place.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Canopy lining and B11's

I wasn't happy with the flat white.Way less reflection than I expected.I did a reflection test at night with a flashlight.What a hugh difference.So I bought a windshield visor and striped it up then secured it with stainless steel staples.I'm not to concerned about the heat because these things were made for extremes, foil on one side foam on the other.
And for an inexpensive piece of mind 3 x B11's back up air pumps.2 for the display and 1 for the fuge.:D

Attachments

• b 11's.JPG
    b 11's.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 624
Good use of a the windshield reflector to get more lighting. Next time I'm in the auto parts dept I'm going to inspect the shield to see how it looks as I imagine it secured in the canopy. Good chance I'll like the effect. I'll see how well it secures with hot melt glue tho the stainless steel staples would make for quick work.

I have found hotmelt glue doesn't stand up to well over a period of time in damp environments.Stainless staples are not the easiest to find, of course the last place I went had 'em...Homey Cheapo in leominster.Not cheap either.

Re sump plumbing in post 39
I have question!Water level stays abouts 1/2 higher on the fuge side.The flow thur the compartments isn't enough for my comfort/security.What I've got are 2x1 1/2" bulkheads.Problem is the hole is already 1 1/2 which makes it tough to hole saw without adding another pc of acrylic for the pilot hole.Here's the question.Should I cut an 2 over-sized pieces of acrylic and use weld-on so there would be have 2 layers of acrylic?

Last edited:
I think you are fine.
The water level is rising until there is enough head pressure to get the water to the other side.
1.5 pvc should be plenty enough for the flow from one side to the other.
For piece of mind you could make a 1x1 or 1.5 notch in the two tallest dividers. That way if the water level ever gets too high in the fuge section it would be able to skip right over and into the return section.
Should make sense (I think).

By the way - Your build is going great. Keep up the good work and planning.

There was a couple of reasons for the swap.One being the flow thru the other was I couldn't stop the right diy bulkhead from leaking.I have a space retriction(see pic)just made it by 1/4".I had to shorten couplings and elbows to do it.Jennifer I went from a 1.25 to 1.5.Thanks for the good words.

Attachments

• bulkeads.JPG
    bulkeads.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Probe Holder

Acrylic with water-resistant electrical connectors to hold the probes and the smaller hole/slot near the bottom bend is for the temp probe.

Attachments

• probe holder.JPG
    probe holder.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 559
I cant believe the work you are doing, top notch. I pay attention to detail, but you are at another level. Everything looks great. I wish I was out your way, I would find some excuse to come by, and see your set up. Keep up the good work, and love the pictures.
Derek

WOW this build is amazing. you dont skimp on anything. looks great! like love how you mounted the RKL and how you hit the korila. im going to steel that idea for my next tank.

I cant believe the work you are doing, top notch. I pay attention to detail, but you are at another level. Everything looks great. I wish I was out your way, I would find some excuse to come by, and see your set up. Keep up the good work, and love the pictures.
Derek
I appreciate it.Come buy anytime.No excuse needed.

WOW this build is amazing. you dont skimp on anything. looks great! like love how you mounted the RKL and how you hit the korila. im going to steel that idea for my next tank.

Thank you! I decided to make another mod rock like the
other.
i like this set up its amazing what u can do with a little heat and a bend

Most anything can be persuaded.

Last edited:
bubble trap

It worked excellt with fresh water.We'll see what salt water does in time.

Attachments

• bubble trap 1.JPG
    bubble trap 1.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 534
  • bubble trap 2.JPG
    bubble trap 2.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 544
  • buuble trap 3.JPG
    buuble trap 3.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 532
Powerbrite led actinics

Got these in place over the weekend.Did the all actinic seeing that fluorescence bulbs burn out so fast I will use/replace less.

Attachments

• Powerbrite led actinics.JPG
    Powerbrite led actinics.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 517
lights

Lights are in place.
3 x t5's with reflectors driven by an Icecap 660 ballast.
2 x 150 watt DE AB's bulbs.
1 more power brite 50/50 to light the back edge.Only one in the back,if I had put another it would be lighting the top of the overflow.

Attachments

• light hood.JPG
    light hood.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 476
top off hoses

I wanted to add top off from the basement.This room being an addition onto the house posed a problem it just sits on a foundation.My solution was to run along the baseboards(rotozip the drywall) until I reached the basement wall then the hammerdrill thru the 12" of foundation to the 55 gal drum. Phew!
2 hoses,1 for top off the other for a tsunami ATO.

Attachments

• top-off and tsunami hoses.JPG
    top-off and tsunami hoses.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 457
  • around the corner.JPG
    around the corner.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 470
Back