Worms ???

skipp

Skipp
I have found 2 (so far) red worms about 1 inch long and big around as a tooth pick in my Sump.Any idea what they are?
Skipp

I have only seen 2 in the baffle area of my sump.I'll check tonight when the lights are off.Are the good or bad? Thanks

Spaghetti worms are good, but they remain buried vertically in the sand most of the time (although at one point a bunch of mine dragged themselves up the glass). Do the worms you're seeing have a bunch of very thin, long, translucent apendages at one end (looks like spaghetti)?

Nate

Sound like bristle worms to me if they don't have the spagetti on their heads. be carefull about touching them, but they shouldn't be a problem.

CirratulidWorm maybe..

CirratulidWorm2.jpg

CirratulidWorm.jpg

I dont have a good shot of a bristle worm yet..

NateHanson said:
WOW! That's a BIG guy! Or at least a very clear macro shot. I've never seen one that close up! :eek:

At first I thought it was in a 5g bucket, it would be huge! :D (but then I noticed the grains of sand, that gives some sense of scale and puts it in perspective)

Great photo, btw!

Nuno

terebellid worms

Those are terebellid worms. I've got a bunch of them. A couple of mine are really huge. I took a couple from our old FO tank and they've reproduced somehow, but the original ones are about a year and a half old and are pretty monstrously big. They're really neat. Cool to watch. They're very good detritivores.

--cn

Mine are the same shape as a earth worm.1 inch long, red, pointy on both ends and the size of a tooth pick,They also move like an earth worm

BTW, I caught my pom pom crab snacking on the tentacles of one of the terebellid worms the other day. I tried to get pictures, but they didn't come out well enough to make out what's going on. (I need to clean the glass after leaving it go while there were snail egg pods on it.) The crab was munching the ends of the tentacles like they were spaghetti. He was eating both kinds of tentacles, the long striped sticky ones that forage for food, and the shorter stiffer brown ones the function of which I have yet to determine.

Watch these things for a while, they're really cool! Feed them a bit of flake food or really just about anything.

BTW, _Eric_'s pictures are of exactly the sort of terebellid worm I have. They are *not* cirratulid worms. Cirratulid worms have mistakenly been called spaghetti worms too, but they are very different from terebellid worms. Cirratulid worms only have two feeding tentacles for the most obvious example.

--cn

Last edited:
_Eric_ said:
Check out this link..
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/

Look at both species..You will notice in my picture that he has tentacles,"Gills" all the way down its body.

Yeah, that's a good article, I'd seen that. Read it too, the words are even better than the pictures and drawings. The worms in my tank and your picture are definitely terebellid, not cirratulid worms. The descriptions and behaviors match exactly those in the article. I believe the things you refer to as gills here are not gills, but something else. Those look more like the short solid colored spiky non-feeding tentacles that also occur among the longer thinner striped feeding tentacles around the head. I believe the gills in your pictures are the spongy looking light pink masses near the head. A bit of gill has broken off in your top picture I believe.

I have spent many, many hours observing these things. They were the first weird creepy thing that appeared out of thin air (water?) in our old FO tank, and we spent a lot of time trying to figure them out and, well, just watching them. I'm fascinated by all these sorts of things in my tanks and watch them for hours with magnifying lenses. I'm quite certain of this ID, especially after rereading the article you linked here.

--cn

OK, I dont want to argue with you...If you think they are terebellid worms thats ok with me.
Check this out now...(Not because they used my picture but as an example.)You know that pink spongy thing is a picture of a piece of food that I fed it so it would stretch out for me to take the picture right
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163864

Last edited:
Back