Yet another tank build...

km1das

Non-member
Well, I have a large tank build coming up and to start it off of course, we break down the old systems! For the past year or so I have been running about 10 separate systems and to be honest, the work was becoming too much, so after much thought and debate I have a plan to get everything down to two systems. To make space for the new I have been breaking down the old systems and moving all the stock over to the only tank I have running that will stay up. So, for now I will post some pictures of my current mess of a nano. Luckily for me, I don't like fish all that much, mostly corals. I will give a one bit of info on future tank plans; I'm getting quotes from a few different places for a custom tank.

Most of the tank:
uploadfromtaptalk1400811411132.jpg

My baby:
uploadfromtaptalk1400811449597.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How big is the next tank going to be? I got my custom from miracles and am quite pleased with it.

I'm playing around with some dimensions, but Miracles is who I'm currently talking to. I want it to be 72 long 30 deep and 20 tall, but price is a consideration with this build, so I won't be surprised if I end up with a smaller tank. Glad you had a good experience with them, how old is your tank and would you buy again? Thanks.

Alright, so I have gotten some quotes back and I'm getting a much better idea and I'm feeling both more comfortable and less comfortable about some things. Does anyone know of a good local place to get custom stands? Powder coated steel is what I'd prefer, the quote I got from Coast to Coast was 2 grand just for the stand....No Way....I may just build my own in my shop but then I have no warranty on the tank and it would be my luck a seal would pop. Haven't gotten a quote on Miracles stand though. Thanks for the kind words and help guys!

A large size stand will have to have some provisions for leveling it on an non-level floor, especially if it goes into a building that has been around or if the floors are anything but steel beam / concrete. otherwise the stand will have to withstand all that weight without bending even the slightest. Hence the price for a stand that will still keep your tank warranty active.
On another hand, did you consider acrylic? It is not nearly as much sensitive to the flatness of the support surface, it's not as prone to cracks due to impact, the scratches are buffable (but scratches more easily) and it does not leak as much heat into the environment (good thing if your equipment does not overheat the tank, bad thing if it does as you will need a chiller), you will probably save some on your electricity bill due to less heating in winter, especially on an open tank.

No clue what a new acrylic would cost but I got my 7x2c2 with stand basically for a song as part of a package deal 2 years ago and i've seen some go cheap on craiglist lately.

Another option would be to look around in aquarium stores for something they had on the floor for a while - All New Tropical World in Worcester had a killer deal on a 6x2x2 a while ago, brand new, still boxed, stand included, predrilled with 2 overflws - there was no buyer for it at lest price so they were welling it for like 50% off.

Back