You should see this rock-the-boat article about live rock

Keep in mind that the video from BulkReef may very well intended to sell their ultra expensive Marinepure ceramic plate. You can use regular ceramic filter rings for about $4 per pound shipped.

great read, just use the rock for the beauty and anything else is does is extra.

The infomercials in guise as education are getting really old.

They are splitting hair and I am sure that there bio media looks great in a tank with corals glued to it (JK). We used a similar bio media back in the 90s, And while it does work it isn't the miracle they make it out to be. Bioballs were very efficient but only completed part of the nitrogen cycle. The Media they are "Selling" suffers from the same issues as LR. In the end this is nothing new.

Last edited:
I think the article from Reefbuilder is the interesting one, not the Bulkreef informercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is Jakes Adams opinion which I really agree with:
We feel more comfortable and in fact prefer dense rocks with as little surface area or porosity as possible in our own reef tanks. The reason is that all that “internal pore network” is just as good at trapping waste and nutrients as it is at housing bacteria.

Sorry Jake Adams does plug products under the guise of education. Follow the circles it is very easy to see if you pay attention. It is a business, you can tour the country speaking to clubs and write articles to sell product under the guise of education. Nothing wrong with it. People get some good information and the speaker writers make a living and the vendors sell product.

And the new biomedia is an easy sell people have already moved to less LR hence the the influx of Carbon dosing. It is an alternative not a better one, even By his comment about LR, as Bio media suffer from the same issues, as I've stated before. But he still plugged it as an option even though it is not dense rock. How is bio media's tiny pores not going to clog just like LR pours? They are, he is talking on both side of the fence in that article. the point is fine, one reefers have already moved on. But the people in the industry are not gods so weigh their input as you would everyone eles's Fact is throwing more LR in your sump and less in you tank is the same thing. Reducing the total live rock in your system and carbon dosing is the same thing, etc etc. And Like i said previously the biomedia was around years ago this is all splitting hairs as LR is naturally made bio media.

Randy holmes farley has concerns of Al release from bio media. It is made of aluminasilicate. There is a thread on reef central. Seems triton testing is revealing people with this stuff can have high Al and silicates. High Al can be toxic to corals. They are doing an experiment to test it now. I would be generally hesitant to put low cost alternatives in the tank for fear of leaching stuff into the water. Cost of corals already in tank makes it hard to justify the risk. I think the era of icp testing everything to see exactly what it has will help us to sort through the claims of manufacturers.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2453931

Last edited:
I wonder if they based int on the Zeolite media(zeovit system) which has a similar make up.

Last edited:
Back