Your view on growing macroalgae in a tank

Looks like fern caulopera. Hard to tell from pic. Do a search and compare the two.

S a r g a s s u m possibly. I had to post it this way as It would not let me write it with out spaces.

It looks more like that than the other stuff in the google pictures. I dunno. Hopefully it will help the tank and not kill it. :)

Caulerpa. You are going to regret it if you let it grow and you want anything in the tank besides the caulerpa. However, I did have a nice 30 gallon tank loaded with the stuff with a rabbit fish (to keep it mowed down a little) and a mandarin. Never had to feed the mandarin. If you want caulerpa, I would stick with prolifera and have it grow in the sand. Much easier to control than what you have, which looks a little like serrulata which clings to the rocks and is a nightmare to remove

Hoping this one works.

P9150161.jpg

I've had that exact calupera in my system in the past. It was invasive and I battled it for years, absolute nightmare. I eventually removed all the rock from that system and gave it a bleach bath specifically because of that algae. That's about as bad of a pest algae as I've ever experienced.

Those little roots spread and imbed themselves deep in the rocks more than you can see. Trust me, get that nightmare out while you still can and hope it's not too late :(

I'm at work now. I can do it when I get home. It's only been in not even 2 full days yet. Hopefully I don't have a problem.

That's too bad. I was hoping you had stumbled upon a great idea. I wouldn't mind putting a few nice plants in my FOWLR tank. It's kinda boring with just the rock. Is there a good plant that works for saltwater that doesn't get too invasive? What do the seahorse tanks use?

That's too bad. I was hoping you had stumbled upon a great idea. I wouldn't mind putting a few nice plants in my FOWLR tank. It's kinda boring with just the rock. Is there a good plant that works for saltwater that doesn't get too invasive? What do the seahorse tanks use?

I'm sure there are other plants that don't get too invasive. I just wanted something else besides a phosban reactor, pads, or sponges. I know the hair algae problem I have is from phosphates and I can't get away from it. I feed my eel silversides and those are super high in phosphates. I'll investigate other macros...

That looks like the same stuff a lfs sold to me as cheato when I didn't know better, lost a lot of livestock going asexual if that's the term

OOOOOhhhhhhhhh, that's no good. So does the plant spread a seed or something or does it split?

Back