Zoanthids & Palythoas

See that the zoas im looking for I think I might start up 20 gl zoa only tank u think thats a dumb idea to only have zoas

See that the zoas im looking for I think I might start up 20 gl zoa only tank u think thats a dumb idea to only have zoas

Are u asking me? I say heck no! It's basically what I'm doin. I mean, I do have one sps that I'm hoping will grow into a centerpiece atop my center structure. It's an ORA red planet. I'm switching to a 75g soon as I get the extra funds and the. I will have a few more sps. But my focus is solely to the success of keeping zoas and palys. If the sps make it and do well, cool, but zoas and palys are what I'm concerned with by far. I also have a nice baby's breathe favia, but I'm not sure I'll keep it or how it will do long term in my system(s).

That is a really nice and varied collection. And good close up shots too.

Are you going to have them grow down the columns?

That is a really nice and varied collection. And good close up shots too.

Are you going to have them grow down the columns?

That is my goal :) these colonies will never be fragged unless they start growing across the sand, and then maybe that part will be. But baby steps, need to get them goin first, lol.

I do. But I would prefer everyone to keep in mind, that this is only a temporary display, and was only setup to get me going again last fall. This is absolutely not what I wan for a display, and does my aquascaping approach and aesthetic feel no justice at all. I am upgrading to a 75g display minimum in the near future, and the height and length will allow me to more properly display the look and feel I am going for.

I am not your traditional reefer, and I take my own approach to aquascaping with the use of various sized, all natural, tumbled rock tiles. I personally feel it looks like crap now and is definately not my end goal. But a seed, and point of inspiration for now.

I am reluctant to share as people will become more focused on the aquascape they will likely not like, rather than the focus and display approach of the corals themselves. People don't like different, lol.

Again, this is only a temporary tank to have gotten me back into reefing and was what I had on hand. I do not like the standpipes, but it is what it is at this point.

It will look MUCH BETTER in 6 months when the tiles are more colored up, in a taller and longer display, and the polyps start to cover the tops of the tiers and begin to grow down. Should I be lucky enough to get to that point without any disasters.

I'm very reluctant to share these shots, lol.

This is a far too shallow and not long enough, 40g breeder. But it's a start...

Personally I am not sure why you are nervous about posting them. I think it looks awesome. Very cool idea. More def isn't always better. Good job. I say leave it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I am not sure why you are nervous about posting them. I think it looks awesome. Very cool idea. More def isn't always better. Good job. I say leave it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm just nervous about the reception it would get I suppose, lol.

And I will be leaving it as is. Or at least the approach. I have a 75g in mind, and will just add a few structures to the back. I would have it all zoas tiers side to side, front to back, but the fish really need some structures and places to hide, sleep, and feel more comfortable. I can honestly say, you will never see rock in my displays again.

I'm 99.9% sure that I am the very first reefer to have ever done this style. And actually incorporate it to, and make it into an actual aquascape. I've been all over the different forums and sites all over the internet, and I have never seen anything like it. I'm the first of my kind in that sense, and I'm thinking the first in the entire reefing world. And that, is pretty freakin cool ;)

Here is a pic of a system I had in 2011 that some here may remember. This was a barebottom, tiered column presentation of sps corals in a high flow 75g. I hated that over flow in the middle left side, lol.

Wow, I think it looks pretty cool! Do you have a sump with live rock or do the tiles act as live rock?

I use lie aragonite sand, and at this point, some of the tiles take that roll. I do use a sump, mesh 200 micron filter sock, carbon reactor & skimmer (SRO 1000 w/ bubble blaster 1000)... I also idea maxijet to keep the flow in the churning and keep any small dust debris from settling. I am grabbing some live rock to add to it this weekend from a buddy actually to boost the bio filtration and bacterial variety. I also have a 20g simple setup nano that houses a red reef lobster and some of that rock will be for him too :)

Back