best tang for a 34 red sea max

STW21

Non-member
I have about 30lbs of live rock some hairy mushrooms and gsp in their now I would like to get a tang or pigme angle that wont eat any of my corals. Im a new comer to this hobby and would be thankfull for any advice

No tangs you need a 6 foot tank be wary of angels they are hit and miss with nipping at corals. Try two clownfish ,goby something for small tanks.

There is NO tang I would recommend for a 34g tank. Tangs are olympic swimmers of the ocean and need at LEAST 4' of tank, ideally 6'+ is the best.

Angels in general are hit or miss even with reef safe ones, do a lot of research first. Most angels are not reef safe and will pick at corals.

Welcome :)

We are not jerks, this is just a very clear answer.

Like everyone said, no tang in a tank that size.

Think of it as keeping a large horse in an elevator and NEVER letting it out for it's entire life. Just not enough room.

That said, tell us a bit more about your tank and what your looking to do with it? I bet we can and will help :)

Cherub angels might be a great idea for your tank.
As already noted, they can be dicey on whether or not they'll nip at corals.
I'd try either a coral beauty or flame angel.
You'd probably have better luck with a swallow tail, but they're harder to find and command more $$.

I have a blk perc clown a goby pistal shrimp pair and a 6lined wrasse I am looking for a colorful fish to be the focal point in the tank.I would also like to know what is a safe # of fish I could keep in the tank

Yea tangs definitely don't need a 6fter.. But a 34g is a bad idea.. they will quickly outgrow it..become aggressive.. and kill off your other fish.. and can get stressed.

get some wrasses.. just as pretty

To be honest your at the max for fish in a 34g..

What are your lvls at?

Tell us more about your tank?
Fish only? Reef?

Filtration you have?

The tang police have spoken! I'd love a tang in my 60 cube (24" x 24") but I just can't do it. It's inhumane.

my 6 inch naso can clear the 6 foot span of my 180 in less then a second. it is kind of impressive really you can hear a whooosh as he speeds by!

If you want a focal point to your tank, research and load up on corals. Don't get me wrong, saltwater fish are the most beautiful of all but they come with alot of stocking restrictions to insure a healthy tank. With corals your only limited to how much space they can take up.

I'd suggest looking our TOTM > Tank of the Month Threads and check out some of them. They tend to have a GREAT amount of diversity and color plus half the fun is watching them take over and multiply. I've seen a couple "frag-men" (and women) on this site that have loads of corals in tanks almost half the size of yours. Believe me they can be just as eye catching. Check out the photography section and ask people for pictures of their tanks.

Listen to people's advice, they are mainly looking out for the welfare of your tank. Their advice will also save you some time and money in the long run. Sometimes it may sound harsh but you wouldn't want to invest $60 in a fish that later doesnt make it.

That being said, WELCOME to the site! Don't be afraid to ask questions :D

If you gonna do it regardless of what people are telling you on here go with a baby hippo, I have had a couple in the past and they grow pretty slowly and alot of LFS sell them really small

If you gonna do it regardless of what people are telling you on here go with a baby hippo, I have had a couple in the past and they grow pretty slowly and alot of LFS sell them really small

Small hippo's have a very low survival rate...either due to collecting practices, stress from shipping and acclimation. I do not recommend purchasing a tiny tang, they are extremely susceptible to ick regardless of size but the smaller ones don't have a good chance of fighting off the parasite.

thanks for the help it looks like tangs are out I will turn my attention to the wrasse family any ideas on the best type for my tank

Back