New Set up questions and thoughts

Vinman75

Non-member
In process of setting up a 55 gallon Fish only with Live rock tank. Ordered the live rock and will be using with reef sand. Waiting for the rock to begin the cycling. Currently I have a Protein skimmer a maxi jet power had and heater in the tank.
2 questions.
I also have a MAgnum 350 bio wheel wet/dry filter, is this needed? I have read a couple of other positing which state that as long as I have the live rock, All I need is the protein skimmer and not the bio wheel filter? Would rather not use it as it is rather loud ad the bio-wheel has been kicking up water on the glass top. Any thoughts?

2) when cyclig the live rock. Should I do so with the reef sand substate in the tank already or wait for the rock to cycle and then and in the substrate? I will not be using live sand just live rock. Any thoughts?

that's correct. you don't need the bio wheel filter. i would skip it completely.

i would cure the rock in the tank with a bare bottom. you would be surprised how much gunk falls off of the rock while it cures. you will want to vacuum that out before adding the sand. make sure you rinse the heck out of the sand too, or it will make your tank extremely cloudy. the better you rinse it, the less time you have to wait till it clears up. btw- you can use the magnum filter to help clear the water after adding the sand, then remove it.

Thanks for the info. So just use the protein skimmer and the live rock? No magnum filter at all? Just afterwards to help polish the water.

yep. that should work for you. you will want a decent amount of flow in the tank as well to keep detritus suspended as long as possible, so a powerhead or two would be a good idea.
what skimmer are you considering?

depends on what sand you get is it live sand or from home depot?
you DO NOT want to rinse the sand you buy packaged at the pet shop since it has live bacteria!
Take your time and be patient :)

if your not going bare bottom....You want to cure your rock out of tank... (will speed up the nitrogen cycle once you set up) or you can do it in tank with sand..(you just will have a little more time before you can add corals)

dump the bio wheel...not needed...

HTH..
B

I will go with the bare bottom while the rock cycles. Was going to use Aragamax Aragonite sand. It is not live sand but was going to use for the sand bed along with the live rock. I have a SeaClone Protein Skimmer which I bought before knowig about this website and message board. I believe they have mixed reviews but it is what I have for now.

I will go with the bare bottom while the rock cycles. Was going to use Aragamax Aragonite sand. It is not live sand but was going to use for the sand bed along with the live rock. I have a SeaClone Protein Skimmer which I bought before knowig about this website and message board. I believe they have mixed reviews but it is what I have for now.

gonna b a nightmare to add sand later on after the rock cycles..major dust storm unless you use the pvc method. (correctly that is) that is why most people cure the rock outside the display tank in a tub or trash barrel..

On the sand....all you need is a little live sand to seed the dead sand...some of us (who have a sandbed) like to mix different grain sizes of sand together.....to customize to our needs...(flow, depth etc)

most people buy equipment they are sorry bout the first go round...use it till you either have the money to upgrade or just get tired of the way it operates... Also depends bigtime on where your going with ur system...
it may b all you need depending the type of system you are going to set up....
GL,
B

Back