RO/DI set-up questions (cold enviroment)

APISTOBORELLI

Bass in pic swam away
Looks like I'm stuck making water in the garage. We just don't have an easily accessible spot in the house to make it work right. I'll be setting my unit up same as before with 2 25gal. barrels on float valves so I always have fresh water. It looks like mixing will take place inside via 5 gallon buckets.

Now for the questions....

My garage, while insulated, is always colder than the rest of the house. When I set the unit up, will I be making trouble for myself? Will the cold affect the unit itself? How about the output? What affect on the membrane will there be?

Thanks for any input,
Mark

more likely to freeze.. happened to me and the lines were running into the basement! ended up running one of those electric lines that are suppose to go on pipes.. but have a built in thermostat.. worked for me!

if it dosent freeze you should be ok. the rate at which it makes water should not be affected that much maybe a little slower but its mostly dependent on water temp

Near freezing the water rate will drop to a trickle, you will need some method to heat the incoming water for much production.

Jim

I would invest in a pressure pump or go with dual membranes to get more production.
Heating the water will only give you marginal gains for the price it will cost you. My basemnt run about 50degrees in the winter. I run dual membrane and am more than happy with the production vs price to run. I have done the preheat and the pressure pump pressure pump is much better and cheaper

Good point, we often hear of low output vs temperature, I would love to see a curve of Temperature vs output flow, anyone know of one.

Jim

She's going to allow me to put it under the kitchen sink. I'll need to drill a hole through to the garage as there's no way she'll let me take up space with the 25 gallon barrels....

I would invest in a pressure pump or go with dual membranes to get more production.
Heating the water will only give you marginal gains for the price it will cost you. My basemnt run about 50degrees in the winter. I run dual membrane and am more than happy with the production vs price to run. I have done the preheat and the pressure pump pressure pump is much better and cheaper

I agree with Greg. The cost to heat the water isn't nearly as cost effective as a second membrane and pressure pump. My water production definitely went up when I added a second membrane. I also got a pressure pump for the system and it went up even more. The pump is very low wattage and I usually only have to use it during the coldest months. My rodi unit is mounted in the basement on an outside wall, so it gets a bit chilly in the Winter.

I think he needs to measure his water pressure first before a pump purchase, he may not need it.

Jim

Not to hijack your thread but I am having pressure problems at the moment. Could someone post a link to one of the "pressure pumps"?

Thanks.

Back