Paul's' new build..

Very true. James has really come though for me with this project. I would probably be out of the hobby right now if it were not for his help. His work and reputation are the best.

I am more nervous than excited. I'll relax when it's on the stand, filled with water and the pumps are running.
Having people come over is part of the fun! Talking tank is most rewarding when you are with your fellow reefers. I remember when Ron Hessing came over. His presentation for the club was wonderful. Seeing those tanks from all over the world gives you great ideas.

Eh I am hoping now I stepped away from the club in a working manner that will come back for me. Been far too long since i felt that way. Too much time in has made it all feel more like a job than a hobby.

Eh I am hoping now I stepped away from the club in a working manner that will come back for me. Been far too long since i felt that way. Too much time in has made it all feel more like a job than a hobby.

I bet it will. You got burnt out because of the responsibilties you had to deal with along with the frustrations that can sometimes hammer you when you have a tank. If I could have stepped away for a little while before starting out on this project I would have. A little break for a few months would have suited me just fine. But then I would have lost years of accumulated livestock and have to start from complete scratch. I'm happy with the decision and will be even happier when everything is done! Plus once you get to my house to help me heave that tank inside, your gonna be itching to get back.:D

Hi there , just wanted to chime in here and even though I don't know you or many people on here those I have met have been great , so I will offer up my help as a plumber to try and pay forward a bit . LMK and we can set up when .

That is a very nice offer, thank you! Most of the plumbing should remain the same. I just have to turn things around a bit to match up the new locations of the drains and return. Should be simple.

Here is my solution to the "how do I hide the ugly powerheads" problem. I took some Marco rock and on the straight cut side traced the outline of the magnet holder of the powerhead. Using a diamond grinder bit, I hollowed it out with my dremel.
After the grinding was done, I found another suitable Marco rock and cemented it at a 90 degree angle to the one I just finished. This is what it looks like.
mini-IMG_3452.JPG

Here you can see how the holder fits into the rock.
mini-IMG_3453.JPG

And here you can see what it looks like with the pump.
mini-IMG_3455.JPG
mini-IMG_3457.JPG

This should hide most of the pump without obstructing the flow in or out. Most importantly for me is that the top of the pump is covered, so algae growth on the grills should be much less than before making for less cleaning. The only drawback is that although the rock will
lift right off the pump with ease, it's too heavy for the magnet to support on it's own. There will have to be some rock work below it to help support the weight. I figure that shouldn't be too hard to manage.

The tank arrives tomorrow. I will try and take some pics. This coming weekend I have to clear out the room of plants and furniture and move in the stock tank. I borrowed some extra heaters from Brian Mac in case any of the old ones I have should fail. I got some cheap
temp monitors too. I don't want to cook everything after going through all this work. Soon the real fun begins.

The first of what will probably be plenty of aggravations occured yesterday when the shipping company called to tell me they couldn't get the tank to my house because it didn't fit correctly into their truck. It was too large for the lift gate to work. Hello? what kind of shipping company are you? Anyway a call to James on the other side of the country and he found someone to deliver it. A flatbed truck will be bringing it sometime tomorrow or friday. The good news is I will save at least $300.00. The bad news is I have to get it into the garage myself. I did it last time so I guess I can do it this time too.

Looks like it's going to be an amazing new tank to house your already amazing livestock and overall set up.

It really is amazing how simple they make it look to put something like this together. I know it is a lot more detailed than just slappig a couple of pieces of acrylic together with adhesive.

The right tools, clamps and table to put everything on. Similar to welding or finish carpentry. Besides that special knack of expertise.

This thread shows a bit of the nitty gritty of how he does it, but it doesn't show the mountain of acrylic shavings that would otherwise be left in the aftermath :)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390652

I think the tricky part is getting the right amount of solvent into the right place in the right amount of time. Takes some skill for sure.

The first of what will probably be plenty of aggravations occured yesterday when the shipping company called to tell me they couldn't get the tank to my house because it didn't fit correctly into their truck. It was too large for the lift gate to work. Hello? what kind of shipping company are you? Anyway a call to James on the other side of the country and he found someone to deliver it. A flatbed truck will be bringing it sometime tomorrow or friday. The good news is I will save at least $300.00. The bad news is I have to get it into the garage myself. I did it last time so I guess I can do it this time too.

if you need help LMK depending on when I might be able to give you a hand and a few furniture dollies

I spoke to the truck driver and he said he might be able to plop it right in the garage if the door is big enough. If that doesn't pan out and I need help I will let you know. I don't think it's a problem if it has to stay in the driveway for a day or so. In the box it weighs 850lbs so it's not going anywhere! It's Saturday afternoon on the
10th that I'm really going to need some muscle. If all goes according to plan the old tank should be out of there by 2 or 3 pm. Of course that's a big "if".

Well it's finally here and got it into the garage safely.
mini-IMG_3458.JPG

Some spectators..

mini-IMG_3459.JPG

Ta daaaa the unpacked tank
mini-IMG_3461.JPG

I unpacked it and all looks good except the bulkheads are not quite right. The first overflow has a 1+1/2 inch drain, a 1+1/2 chase and a 1 inch return. The second overflow has a 1+1/2 inch drain and a 1 inch chase. That chase was supposed to be 1+1/2 inches. Plugs for pumps like a Tunze will not fit through a 1" pipe. I don't know how this could happen because I went over this with James more than once. I think he might have got confused and thought 2 returns and one chase instead of the other way around. It's not a disaster, and the wiring for the Jebaeo's will fit but it will be hard. I probably won't be able to put much else through there and will have to run all the lighting through the other chase. I'm also surprised that since I only have one return, the bulkhead isn't 1+1/4. Again not a disaster but not optimal. I will increase that size of the return piping in the overflow to 1+1/4 after the bulkhead. Better a quick squeeze that having the whole 28 inches of pipe at 1 inch. Tomorrow I plan to coat the overflows with silicone and plaster sand onto them. Most will be covered with rock anyway, but I don't like the look of the shiny black acrylic peeking through holes in the aquascape.

I unpacked it and all looks good except the bulkheads are not quite right. The first overflow has a 1+1/2 inch drain, a 1+1/2 chase and a 1 inch return. The second overflow has a 1+1/2 inch drain and a 1 inch chase. That chase was supposed to be 1+1/2 inches. Plugs for pumps like a Tunze will not fit through a 1" pipe. I don't know how this could happen because I went over this with James more than once. I think he might have got confused and thought 2 returns and one chase instead of the other way around. It's not a disaster, and the wiring for the Jebaeo's will fit but it will be hard. I probably won't be able to put much else through there and will have to run all the lighting through the other chase. I'm also surprised that since I only have one return, the bulkhead isn't 1+1/4. Again not a disaster but not optimal. I will increase that size of the return piping in the overflow to 1+1/4 after the bulkhead. Better a quick squeeze that having the whole 28 inches of pipe at 1 inch. Tomorrow I plan to coat the overflows with silicone and plaster sand onto them. Most will be covered with rock anyway, but I don't like the look of the shiny black acrylic peeking through holes in the aquascape.

Damn. Any chance you can send it back? Not joking. Go for perfect.
A business would send this back and say upon inspection it was not built to specifications.
These errors may bug you in the long term.

Is there enough room to add a bulkhead hole for a 1-1/2" chase?

It would't even need to be one and a half. One and a quarter would do it. I think there is room but I don't have the tools, skill or nerve to try and enlarge that hole.

Damn. Any chance you can send it back? Not joking. Go for perfect.
A business would send this back and say upon inspection it was not built to specifications.
These errors may bug you in the long term.

Not an option. Shipping to the west coast $1000. Also I'm on a schedule. This has to be done next weekend.

It would't even need to be one and a half. One and a quarter would do it. I think there is room but I don't have the tools, skill or nerve to try and enlarge that hole.

I have all if you are up for it, but understand if you are not

There isn't enough room for another hole, but I suppose the one that is there could be made larger. Isn't it hard to re-drill a hole just a bit larger? There is no place to place the bit. If we messed up it would be finished. I easily passed the cords for the Jebao pumps through the one inch bulkhead. If I wanted to use a Tunze, I would have to cut and splice the cords. Let me sleep on it. Are you coming over next Saturday afternoon?

Back