Paul's' new build..

Its amazing that your tank after all its been through, all the corals dying off, and problems u ran into, you still have the most gorgeous tank i have ever seen. Lol. You are a trooper Paul. I cant wait to come see it again. I have a big chunk of your old bird of paradise too if u want it. I can split it right down the middle if u want.
Wow.

I've been buying frags to restock and still have a long way to go. The frags are small so to me the tank still looks very empty. It makes me want to go out and spend oodles of money to get it back to where it was. The magnifica anemone has fully recovered and looks good. The gigantea anemone ate Saturday for the first time since May. It still looks shriveled and I don't know the reason but I assume that since it ate it must be improving. I couldn't save the ventalina gorgonian and that will definately be hard to replace.:( So the pace is slow. This week I am upgrading two of my Vegas to Hydra52. Since they have more spread, I'm planning on putting them on either side of the center brace at the center of the tank. I should get more light in the middle that way without having to put a light right over the brace.

I've been buying frags to restock and still have a long way to go. The frags are small so to me the tank still looks very empty. It makes me want to go out and spend oodles of money to get it back to where it was. The magnifica anemone has fully recovered and looks good. The gigantea anemone ate Saturday for the first time since May. It still looks shriveled and I don't know the reason but I assume that since it ate it must be improving. I couldn't save the ventalina gorgonian and that will definately be hard to replace.:( So the pace is slow. This week I am upgrading two of my Vegas to Hydra52. Since they have more spread, I'm planning on putting them on either side of the center brace at the center of the tank. I should get more light in the middle that way without having to put a light right over the brace.

Sounds like your on your way. Im glad to hear the nem ate as well. Can we get an updated pic?

Glad the mag is doing good. I'm just not sure if I would be feeding the gig yet if it still is not looking good, it's just a lot of energy exhausted to digest the food with little returned back, plus if it takes to long to digest if its that weak the food can spoil inside the anemone. If it does not bounce back soon I would definitely start looking to treat the anemone with Spectra, possible that it got to stressed out.

Whatever the anemones problem is, I don't believe it is an infection. It would have died long ago if that were the case. I don't think spectra would help. I have two 150watt Kessil spotlights trained on it for extra light. I figure being on the sand bed and contracted like it is, it's is not getting sufficient PAR. It used to to be inflated half way up the tank. I will take an updated pic but there is not all that much to see.

Sorry it took me so long with the pics. Not too much to see. Take notice of the difference in size of my anemone. It's still alive, but no better or worse. I have lost a few frags in the past week which is disheartening. In response I stopped all vodka dosing because I think the tank is too clean. I also finally have the alkalinity stabilized so I'm hoping there will be no more losses.
mini-IMG_3474.JPG

mini-IMG_3476.JPG

mini-IMG_3477.JPG

Sorry for the dark pics. I'm lousy with the camera. The anemone is on the far right side. It used to take up that whole area of the tank.

Last edited:
Im really liking the arch. I think you did an awsome job on the aquascape.

Thanks. It actually looks a lot better than the photos because I stink so bad at photography. I really like how open it is and how you can see most of the fish all of the time. Now I just have to get some good growth from the frags so it doesn't look so empty.

I really hope to see your set up in person one day Paul, AWESOME stuff! :)

Higor

Anytime! This past weekend I went to Miguels (Yariel5027) to see his setup and buy a few frags. What a beautiful reef! Awesome sps with great color and I got beautiful frags. We talked tank for quite a while and I picked up some tips on gluing frags to stonework and the use of vitamin C which I have never tried before. A few weeks ago I went to Dongs in Concord and had a simmilar experience. I think traveling to see other setups is one of the best (and most fun) part of the hobby. You always learn something even when your an old reefer like me.

Yesterday I got 2 AI hydra52 upgrade kits. My plan was to upgrade the two center AI vegas that are on either side of the center brace. The hydra52s have a much wider spread of 36" compared to the 24" of the vegas. I figured this would take care of any light issues created by the center brace. Because my gigantea anemone has been doing so poorly since the tank switch and is just a little lump on the sand, I decided to temporarily put a hydra above it to give it some extra par. To even out the look I placed the other one on the other side of the tank. Well I have to say I was unprepared for the effect. I thought I would see a little more spread or a subtle change like the difference between a SOL and a Vega. WOW :: They are without question the brightest lights I have ever had over my tank. The difference is just amazing. I think I'm going to change my plans and see if I can save the $$$ to upgrade a few more.

Last edited:
I hope the gigantea bounces back. It's amazing to see a 20" gigantea shrink to almost nothing. Makes me wonder how big are they really when you see them at the store.

Back