What are people using for lights?

I had 3 Radions, Gen I, and then 4 AI Sols on a 120. I liked the AIs better, but I don't think I want a straight LED light.

Take a look at the ATI hybrid lights, great par and well it's ATI lol

I was, but someone said the LEDs are white only, and not really set up for that light. I love the Pac Sun light (Pandora) but I want someone to tell me its the best they have ever owned, and I don't hear that.

Derek

They have white, blue ,royal blue and red. I am not sure how 75 watt LEDs would be. I suppose they would be fine. Bye what tank are you going with?

I don't know. I have gone form a 60 cube from Miracles, to a Red Sea Reefer Series, (The New One), to a 75 Deep Blue, To a 100 Reef Savvy. I want to downsize, but I can't imagine having a 60 cube. I was thinking I didn't like how deep my tank was, and the new Reefer 450, seem like a good fit. Its 59x21x20, with sump about 110gal

That is a sweet light, now I just have to figure out about the tank. would a 4' light be fine over a 59" tank? It is only going to be 20" deep

derek, thought you was going to downgrade to a smaller around 60g tank? what made you changed your mind so quick and went with the Reefer 450?
Well, whatever you decided, just hope that you will like the tank

derek, thought you was going to downgrade to a smaller around 60g tank? what made you changed your mind so quick and went with the Reefer 450?
Well, whatever you decided, just hope that you will like the tank

I looked at it. LOL The reason for the upgrade/change was because we bought new living room, and dining room and I wanted to do the rooms over new floors, and re arrange them. I never liked the stand to my 120, and couldn't wait to get it down. I didnt build it, and I was never sure how safe it was. Well part of the problem was the 2ft depth of the tank. i have an older house and most rooms are 14x14, and 4x2x2 tank takes up a lot. So after I looked at a cube I thought it was going to be small so I thought I would go to a 36in tank. I was looking at the Red Sea, and said I liked it, but I would want to change stuff, so I started to think maybe that wasn't a good idea. Then I noticed Red Sea is coming out with a Reefer Series, Tank, Stand, and Sump, So now I am thinking that could work. Well the 3 foot isn't that big, so I was thinking maybe go 4', now since the change in the living room, tank will be in the dining room, so the 450, would fit in there. It is 110gal, but thats total volume, and it isn't 2 feet deep so it wouldn't be so bad.If it sounds confusing, it is. I am so sick of thinking about it I just want to get it and get going. When thought I was going small I sold everything, except my Apex, so I will be buying everything new.

Thats why LOL

That's a good looking light. I never had just T5s, so I want to do a combo. I believe in LEDs, but not sure if they can stand alone.

That's a good looking light. I never had just T5s, so I want to do a combo. I believe in LEDs, but not sure if they can stand alone.

I hear that, I've had about 4 different stand alone LED fixtures. It's a mixed bag. Some corals do great and grow like weeds, others not so well depending on the fixture. I really wanted LEDs to work for me but in the end I went back to T5 that will grow SPS, LPS, Zoas. Everything grows great under T5 but I do miss the shimmer of LED or MH.

Last edited:
I ordered the tank today, and its not going to cost as much as I thought so the extra money might get put towards the light. Im hoping this decision doesn't take as long as the tank one did.

I use 2 Ai sol blues and 4 39w t5. You get the shimmer. The par. And the spectrum with this combo. I get great color and great growth. I just bought a red sea max s500 tank and I'm going to rnn a similar setup as I have now. But upgrade the sols to the hydra 52 and change from 3w to 54w

Are you changing the light fixture? I almost bought that tank but knew i would want to mess with the components, so I had to pass. I bought a Red Sea Reefer 450, the new one that hasn't come out yet. Im hoping it comes in the next couple weeks. Its just a tank, stand, and sump.

Derek

Have you thought about doing another diy led? You could get 2 Aurora dimmable led kits and throw 2-4 54w T5's on it?
You could do 2 diy "Radion" and the T5's for close to what one Radion pro would cost you.
http://www.rapidled.com/dual-aurora-puck-kit-dimmable/

I was thinking of doing that, and adding T5s to my old DIY light, but I don't want something to looked thrown together. I have always had like that and this one isn't. I think I will be able to get either the Geismann or Pac Sun Pandora. Both lights are super expensive, but every tank I have ever had I always wished I had done something different, not with this one. Except getting a custom tank?? Actually I decided agains it because I couldn't justify the cost of one, and the Red Sea tank I am getting is better than the one I could have ordered. Also with one thru college, and the second a year away I had to make some tough decisions. this tank I am getting is def a step up from the original cube I was getting.

Last edited:
I have my 2 X Radions and 2 T5's all wrapped into a old 8 bulb T5 fixture. If you could find a used fixture you like the look of you could make a light that looks just as good and possibly performs even better?
I have 0 experience with the Pandora or Geismann leds but I also haven't always read the best things. A Lfs I go to has a Geismann hanging over there frag tanks and when I asked about it they didn't sound very enthusiastic. With the Pandora I just always see them being resold and to me that says a lot about the fixture.
Not to often you see people reselling there gen 3 pro's. :)
Either way I wish you the best of luck on the set up and hope whatever decision you make turns out to be a good one.

I am running ATI 4 foot fixture with 6 bulbs ....best light I have ever had and the bulb combos you can do are out of this works. Runs much cooler than MH and great looking fixture to boot.

Had, in the past Ocean light 2EA 250 MH and 2 T5s then on to LED then back to MH (past 5-6 years) now only light I will use is the T5's

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back