sump idea looking for feedback

maxfischer

Instigator
im going to have a sump built this week and was thinking about the design. Im kinda cramped for space have about 23" x 23" to work with. I want the sump to house heaters, skimmer, return pump, frag/refuge, and topoff float switch. i know its gonna be cramped so this is what i came up with. Let me know what you think-thanks cory

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 117
  • frontview.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 123
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 3dview.jpg
    3dview.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 119
Cory it's a nice design but I would be concerned about the return section. It will leave you with less than 3 gallons.

Cory it's a nice design but I would be concerned about the return section. It will leave you with less than 3 gallons.

agree, i was thinking of a auto top off out of a 5 gal bucket. not a fan of the top off but the system will hold an extra 5 gallons so no risk

Cory, I personally wouldn't worry about the return chamber having less that 3 gallons in it. I've had return chambers that only held about two and the benefit is that you never have to worry about a clogged drain causing the display to overflow. One thing in that design I would worry about is that it looks like that sump will be filled pretty close to the top which won't leave much room in the event of a pump failure. I would lower the baffles at the return area some to help out in that area.

Cory, I personally wouldn't worry about the return chamber having less that 3 gallons in it. I've had return chambers that only held about two and the benefit is that you never have to worry about a clogged drain causing the display to overflow. One thing in that design I would worry about is that it looks like that sump will be filled pretty close to the top which won't leave much room in the event of a pump failure. I would lower the baffles at the return area some to help out in that area.

thanks for the info, this is why i posted, i did not even think of this in the design. Gustavo is doing the build and im sure he would have pointed this out too. Thanks steve

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back