1/4" pressure valve for RO wastewater??

testhead1313

Here's lookin' at you
In an effort to conserve water, I have several 55 gallon barrels outside that I'm going to use to collect the wastewater from my RO/DI unit (for watering the yard, flushing toilets, etc.). However, I want to engineer it so that a mechanical float switch (valve) will direct the wastewater to a drain when the barrels fill up (thus preventing the barrels from overflowing). My plan is to have the float valve attached to one of the barrels near the top and tie both barrels together via a short section of 1" PVC (probably spaflex to accommodate any shifting due to weight). The line for wastewater will be tee'd off, with one side going through the float valve into the barrels. The other side is my predictament - I need to have this tied into a drain line under the kitchen sink, but due to the locations of the sink and barrels, physics will take the water to the drain instead of going to the barrels. Do any of you know where I can get a simple pressure relief valve (something low, like 5 PSI) that will only allow water to enter the drain if the float valve is closed and pressure builds up in the line? I know I can use gravity if I ran that leg of the line to the 2nd floor to create the pressure, but this would be a fair PITA. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Chris

Chris,

Not sure I follow but why can't you just put a tap near the top of the barrel connected to the sink drain, when the barrel is full the excess will simply go down the drain.

Jim

Back