10 Gallon Zoa Tank

rad1687

Non-member
Hey guys, I was thinking about starting up a 10 gallon tank to raise zoas. What sort of lighting would I need to have success with this? With just zoas, a cleaner shrimp, and some snails, would I be ok with just a cheap nano skimmer? I am also going to run a small HOB carbon filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-rad :cool:

Hey guys, I was thinking about starting up a 10 gallon tank to raise zoas. What sort of lighting would I need to have success with this? With just zoas, a cleaner shrimp, and some snails, would I be ok with just a cheap nano skimmer? I am also going to run a small HOB carbon filter. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-rad :cool:

All you need is a couple of t5s and a small power head to move water. Scrap the skimmer and filter and just do a weekly water change.

How many watts of light would I need? The nova extreme 2x24watt fixture wouldnt be enough, would it?

Any more advice please? Would a filter do any damage? I was also gonna have some chaeto in there... I would love some more input and ideas

I would say no to a filter as long as you do small water cahnges weekly they will be fine zoas and a lot of the softy corals actually thrive more with "dirtier" water. Cheato is always a good thing as it provides natural food ( bugs) for the corals. actinic lighting is the best bang for the buck with zoas as most zoas give much better color under an actinic bulb, to the eye anyway. one of my fav tangs ove rthe years was my zoa and ric tank with some sexy shrimp in it and a small gobi pistol shrimp pair

Back