5" Ultra Maxima Clam in a 16g Nuvo?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
Setting up a 16g Nuvo very soon, and really didn't want to sell my 5" Maxima. Have afriend who will take it free if I can't keep it, but wanted to get a few more opinions first as to if I could keep it.

I'd imagine a 5" maxima in a 16g is a bad idea? I'm fairly new to clams as is. But mine is in a 40g and has been EXTREMELY healthy and happy for the past 4 months. Zero issues, great growth. It's attached to a rock thats half into my sand bed.

I would go smaller to fit better but I know smaller clams are even harder to keep.

They soak up alk and calcium like mad from what I understand as they grow and get larger. If you have a sufficient dosing system and don't mind staying on top of it, I'm not sure it would be too much of an issue. Basically comes down to how diligent you are IMO.

If you can keep up with the alk, ca, and mg, and provide sufficient amount of light, I don't see any issue.

Daily manual dosing should work as long as your not heavily stocked with other consumers. At least for a little while. And if you a stay on top of it.

I am. But the Nuvo 16 will have the Maxspect Razor R420R on it so lighting is not a problem lol.
As far as Ca, Alk, and Mg... I don't have a doser. =\ Hmm...

I have that marine color doser. It's one of the knock off ones. For a little over $100 I've had no issues with it.

Might be worth looking into instead of going crazy trying to manual dose. I forget where I got it though so I can't help you with that, but I'm sure a quick google search will show.

Off topic but why you taking down the 40?

Moved to an apartment so the lower electric bill, the extra space, the smaller waterchanges, the less of an urge to buy livestock since space in tank is limited, and the fact that I'm not home often enough to maintain larger tanks really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yea. It definitely sucks. But sounds like you know where your priorities are right now and that's good. Later on, go bigger.

Exactly. I'm only shorting myself 12g anyways having a 12 & 16 from a 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back