75 gallon In-Wall Project

Good progress!

Not trying to spoil your fun, but I just realized that the tank is actually inside a closet / dressing room... have you thought about the humidity, and how you're going to control it?

FWIW, my 75g evaporates about 1.2 to 1.5 gallons per day... if yours is anything like mine, that's going to be a lot of humidity in a closed space, and it's particularly bad if you keep your clothes there... you'll also want to think about how to contain the salt spray from the sump... I know the inside of my tank stand (where the sump is) is covered with a thin film of salt, and there's no visible spraying/splashing.

Nuno

darn, didnt think about the humidity. What are my options? a dehumidifier?

the salt spray should be contained by a clear plastic sheet that will be velcro to the tank stand.

A dehumidifier would probably work, not sure how much they're rated for. Another option might be to vent the room to the outside... maybe if you could get fans to blow over the top of the tank and have those fans blow through a vent to the outside, you might be removing most of the humidity (along with cooling the tank).

Regarding the spray, I was going to suggest something like that, a plastic barrier of some kind... but you've got that covered already ;)

Nuno

Looks good Steve,with regards to the humidity,i see you have a window which will help you out most of the year but maybe a bathroom type extractor may help in the high heat of summer.
-Liam.

You can certainly get a dehumidifier that would more than keep up with your tanks evaporation rate. When I turned my living room into a swimming pool I had a dehumidifier from Sears pulling out about 4 gallons per day at the peak of the disaster.

I think it would be more energy efficient, and provide cooling too, if you put a vent fan in the wall though, assuming you've got an outside wall near the closet.

Nate

ive got a window the wall next to the tank. I could just get one of those window fans and use it to blow out rather than in, right?
I just dont want to overload the curcuit with too many items. If I went the dehumidifier route then that just one more added machine using juice...but if its absolutely needed then I have no problem with buying one.

a dehumidifier will make it very hot in that room, due to never going off with the humidity rate. I would not suggest that at all. I know that I hate running the dehumidifier in my cellar during the summer for that reason. They let out a lot of heat. Steve, I think no matter what you do, the clothes will have an odor from being in such close proximity to the tank. I also think that it will be worse with saltwater. If there is anyway to relocate the clothes, I would do so. JMO

Last edited:
Yep, an exaust fan is definitely a cheaper way to go. But I would probably install one permanently through the wall, rather than have one in the window. You may need it in the winter as well as summer, to prevent that closet from being really wet.

Nate

steve you may want to set you skimmer plumbing up like this i had mine set up that way and the hose came loose believe me you don't want that i was lucky to be standing there when it happened it hit the top of the tank and from there it went everywere not good :mad:

i have it zip tied now but im looking at your design and liking it more and more. Once i transfer everything tomorrow morning im gonna look into plumbing the skimmer like yours. Thanx for the insight

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back