Acclimating a boxfish - any experience?

JeanR

BRS Member
Hello, as an impulse buy I got a young yellow (cubicus) boxfish about 2-3 inches big. I've had him for 3 days and have not been able to get him to eat frozen adult brine or mysis, also will not eat white worms or newly hatched baby brine (at least that I've been able to see). Anyone have success they can share?

Liveaquaria suggests live adult brine shrimp - any idea if this works and if anyone in the greater boston area sells them?

Masstick food is supposed to be good for finicky eaters. I like reef frenzy most fish accept it

Hello, as an impulse buy I got a young yellow (cubicus) boxfish about 2-3 inches big. I've had him for 3 days and have not been able to get him to eat frozen adult brine or mysis, also will not eat white worms or newly hatched baby brine (at least that I've been able to see). Anyone have success they can share?

Liveaquaria suggests live adult brine shrimp - any idea if this works and if anyone in the greater boston area sells them?
All Things Aquatic has live brine shrimp.

Thanks so much for the live adult brine, the boxfish starting eating them right away.

And gorgeous store! Will look forward to more frequent visits in the future.

Boston Reefers: great store and super kid friendly!! My kids had a blast checking out the sharks and other large fish - great destination to keep the kids entertained while you reef shop!!

For those who are interested, the boxfish is now pigging out on 100% frozen. I fed only live adult brine for 2 days and that got the boxfish eating again. On days 3 and 4 I made a mix of live adult brine and frozen adult brine/mysis (about half live, half frozen) that the boxfish also ate well. After that the boxfish has had no problems eating 100% frozen.

During feeding I turn off the return pump to keep the food in the display and lower the overall flow (but I keep the display wavepump going). I'll probably try to get the boxfish eating nori and pellets before I move it to my main tank where it will have a lot more competition for food.

Huge difference in getting Fish to eat offering them live.
Generally I offer live Brine Shrimp or Black Worms to all new arrivals to get them comfortable eating, then get them on frozen and pellets ASAP

Think about Fishing in a lake or river, live bait gets way more strikes than lures any day.

Back