Acclimating SPS to lights

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
When you acclimate your new sps, do you slowly raise them on the rockscape until you reach the desired location or do you go directly from the sandbed to where you want them in the end? I'm getting tired of moving things around. There must be a better way.

A lot of people like bringing them up slowly but I just put it where it’s going to go.
my thinking is every time you move it you reset the acclamation phase of the coral and then there’s no guarantee it will like it where you want it , so you just spent a month moving it around for nothing.

When I get new SPS they usually go on a frag rack, but even the bottom of my tank gets about 275-300 PAR and I let them cook a little bit for size there, after a month or two they get mounted to their designated spot on the rocks which maybe anywhere from 300-550.
I agree with Chris and some others on just mounting them and not stressing them out.

For new members that's starting to keep sps I tell them to move it slowly to the spot you want it at. But for myself I just go from sand bed to the permanent home.

For new members that's starting to keep sps I tell them to move it slowly to the spot you want it at. But for myself I just go from sand bed to the permanent home.
LOL, I'm not new to sps, but I do admit I still struggle with it. I usually go from sandbed to final location, but I have a new piece that I'm particularly fond of, and I don't want to take any chances. I have had cases where a couple of weeks after final gluing, I end up bringing it back down to the sandbed.

LOL, I'm not new to sps, but I do admit I still struggle with it. I usually go from sandbed to final location, but I have a new piece that I'm particularly fond of, and I don't want to take any chances. I have had cases where a couple of weeks after final gluing, I end up bringing it back down to the sandbed.
I wasn't meaning you are new by any means. I was just stating what I tell new people is all.

I've not read up much about acclimitization, but why would I begin an sps coral in less light than it is used to. If I purchase a frag from someone who has it at 300 par, wouldn't I begin it at 300? If I buy an lps that I want to get used to my high par tank, I'll screen it to gradually aclimatize to higher par. If I buy an sps from tim190 I put it in the highest par location in my tank and pray it gets used to the drop in par.

I've not read up much about acclimitization, but why would I begin an sps coral in less light than it is used to. If I purchase a frag from someone who has it at 300 par, wouldn't I begin it at 300? If I buy an lps that I want to get used to my high par tank, I'll screen it to gradually aclimatize to higher par. If I buy an sps from tim190 I put it in the highest par location in my tank and pray it gets used to the drop in par.
That's actually a very good point.

Back