Adding color to the softy's tank some carpets did the trick. Ultra color

Ronnie

Non-member
OK, over a week ago me and the wife went to the fish store. She said this has color and i like it a lot so you should add it to the kids tank it would add color. Knowing what there are and chances of survival I was not keen. Looking at them mouths closed and foot and the color was amazing I know they well darken up as time goes on I decided to buy them. So thanks to the wife hear are some pictures.

Thanks for looking
Ronnie

Attachments

• tank-010.jpg
    tank-010.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 923
  • tank-009.jpg
    tank-009.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 911
  • tank-008.jpg
    tank-008.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 903
  • tank-006.jpg
    tank-006.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 928
  • tank-007.jpg
    tank-007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 900
Man, they are so colorful and healthy. I have to ask if this is a spoof and they are artificial?

I really don't want to be a parade rainer, but be sure you look into the species. Without knowing if they do indeed have purple spots on the underside I can't be 100% sure , but I would 99% say those are both S. gigantea. Small purple dots would confirm it. They are probably the prettiest of all anemones, but by far the worst at surviving the trip from ocean to tank. I'm not exaggerating when I say 1 in 1000 is probably optimistic. These two have lost almost all of their zoozanthelle(sp?) (aka bleaching) hence the florescent look. In a healthy state they will be a gorgeous deep green and blue. The bleaching can be survivable and you are right to see the closed mouth as a good sign. Long term these guys need the highest light and highest flow possible. In the wild they most often live above the low tide line in the surf zone. Check out Paul's tank in an old TOTM for pics of one of the handfull that are in good health in captivity. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php

Last edited:
+ 1 on the above statement.....thanx for chiming in Cindy....I was about to post what you put but after scrolling down I see you beat me to the punch.... ;)

Amazing love the blue where did you get them?
Thank You PM sent

outstanding as usual, beautiful additions
Thank you for the Kind words

whoah those are insane!! Nice additions man
Thank you

Beautiful. S.haddoni??
Thank you, but there are not haddoni. (Stichodactyle Gigantea)

wow, those things look great. i see you put ur clowns back in huh? keep up the great pics.
Clowns are in the sump that is the true perc I had in the tank. Thanks Eric

Man, they are so colorful and healthy. I have to ask if this is a spoof and they are artificial?
Healthy? No real bleached. Thank you I hope they make it I know my clown will be mad.

common Ronnie you can tell us where you got it and how much!!!!

Your wife truely spoiled you and the boy :D

ok in 6 months or a year, that tank will be way too small fir them. .....seriously !!!

I really don't want to be a parade rainer, but be sure you look into the species. Without knowing if they do indeed have purple spots on the underside I can't be 100% sure , but I would 99% say those are both S. gigantea. Small purple dots would confirm it. They are probably the prettiest of all anemones, but by far the worst at surviving the trip from ocean to tank. I'm not exaggerating when I say 1 in 1000 is probably optimistic. These two have lost almost all of their zoozanthelle(sp?) (aka bleaching) hence the florescent look. In a healthy state they will be a gorgeous deep green and blue. The bleaching can be survivable and you are right to see the closed mouth as a good sign. Long term these guys need the highest light and highest flow possible. In the wild they most often live above the low tide line in the surf zone. Check out Paul's tank in an old TOTM for pics of one of the handfull that are in good health in captivity. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-12/totm/index.php

Lets try this again for the third time. The shorter version.

You are not running on my parade. As I know you will commit on most if not all anemone's threads. I have enjoyed and found your links and PDF very interesting.

As for the survival rate and odds you posted. I ask you one question why do you look for rare and hard to keep anemones yourself? Have you not keeped or still do keep hard anemone's like H. Magnifica (Ritteri)?

As for the post you write I hope I'm right and feel it's for the love you have for this creatures survival.

As you mentioned Paul's amazing tank. He once said Buying anemoneis always a gamble even when it looks great. No one can blame you for trying though.:)

+ 1 on the above statement.....thanx for chiming in Cindy....I was about to post what you put but after scrolling down I see you beat me to the punch.... ;)
OK B I was going to leave this alone but I know you so this is a joke up front. Brian do you have anemones in that amazing SPS tank, or did you have one in the stone age.

Serious: I have read that these are the most difficult to keep but also know a few people that have them. I know they are bleached from shipping. As for Cindy's commits which one were you going to point out? Can be a learning experience for me. As this hobby moves forward we can now keep harder animals in our tanks and breed in captivity look back when the average person could not keep a tank like yours. SPS was not possible a long time ago. I myself had some ups and downs with SPS. The truth is we all have had something go wrong with are tanks and learned from it. Now were is my SPS Brian? Something along a fist size please.

common Ronnie you can tell us where you got it and how much!!!!

Your wife truely spoiled you and the boy :D

ok in 6 months or a year, that tank will be way too small fir them. .....seriously !!!
Yes, I can Seacreatures in North Providence and the million dollar question how much $85.99.

Yes, My wife does take care of us and lets me have what I want for the tanks as she wanted the carpets and choice pieces in my tanks. I think I'm going to let her pick all the pieces from now on.

I can ask her for a bigger tank considering she picked it out. Or it will be up for sale don't you like carpet special blue ones.

Thank You
Ronnie

Woooooooow. I was agape with awe the whole time looking at his setup. I hope to have eventually (years down the road) something that's a tenth as nice as that tank. Thanks for the link! :D

Be sure, I'm not shooting anyone down for attempting a tough anemone. I've had my share and have tried to add to the hobby's knowledge base about them. I love the giganteas and magnificas specifically because they are not only beautiful, but we don't know much about them. I was interested in their reproduction- magnificas can be split to possibly make a sustainable tank raised population, giganteas are internal brooders so they release fully formed baby anemones rather than eggs, so captive raised babies are a possible way to circumvent shipping stress.

These guys are pretty numerous in the wild limited more by prime location than collection. We know shockingly little about their reproduction, but it is a good bet that the ones producing the most offspring in the wild are the full grown 3+foot ones that are not the ones they collect for the pet trade. I'm just being honest about their survival rates (as best as I can estimate). Oddly the ones that bleach seem to have a slightly better chance of survival. (Could be that if they are healthy enough they can expel the zoozanthelle otherwise it releases something toxic from the stress or something crazy like that)

Just want you to know what a rare and valuable gem you have if either or both do make it long term. We know nothing about what takes them down or what would fix the problem. They are in such a violent environment in the wild, you will see them hanging off of rocks in the tropical sun or the rain at low tide or in tidal pools that must have huge temp and salinity swings yet getting to our tanks is too much for them. So, document what you do and how they act. Someday we will get a picture of what works if enough people are out there looking for the answers.

wow ronnie those do look sweet i hope they continue to recover and look forward to more pics in time??.........and didnt you recently have another blue nem? it might have been a carpet and not a gigantea, so do you still have it? i remember it kept moving to the back of the tank or something?...................

.......and i still think that out of all of your sweet tanks over the years the sickest (in a good way) looking tank was when you put the lps and colorful softies into the sps tank to hold them while building the new 120 heres a pic to remind you.......Im a sucker for a true MIXED reef!!!!!!

Attachments

• 043-jacobs-tank Ronnies.jpg
    043-jacobs-tank Ronnies.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
wow ronnie those do look sweet i hope they continue to recover and look forward to more pics in time??.........and didnt you recently have another blue nem? it might have been a carpet and not a gigantea, so do you still have it? i remember it kept moving to the back of the tank or something?...................

.......and i still think that out of all of your sweet tanks over the years the sickest (in a good way) looking tank was when you put the lps and colorful softies into the sps tank to hold them while building the new 120 heres a pic to remind you.......Im a sucker for a true MIXED reef!!!!!!
WOW thanks for posting that picture. Yes, I had a blue Haddoni Carpet that liked to spend its time in back of the new tank and move around (it was not happy after the tank upgrade) Funny it never moved in the 75 and was happy. I still have the green Haddoni carpet. Having some pieces I did not want to get damaged the wife told me I should remove it. I should ask for it back because i do miss it a little LOL no.

Thank You for the kind words. I will let you know a little secret my 120 is under construction to become a mix reef SPS / LPS:) Watch for the pictures.

Be sure, I'm not shooting anyone down for attempting a tough anemone. I've had my share and have tried to add to the hobby's knowledge base about them. I love the giganteas and magnificas specifically because they are not only beautiful, but we don't know much about them. I was interested in their reproduction- magnificas can be split to possibly make a sustainable tank raised population, giganteas are internal brooders so they release fully formed baby anemones rather than eggs, so captive raised babies are a possible way to circumvent shipping stress.

These guys are pretty numerous in the wild limited more by prime location than collection. We know shockingly little about their reproduction, but it is a good bet that the ones producing the most offspring in the wild are the full grown 3+foot ones that are not the ones they collect for the pet trade. I'm just being honest about their survival rates (as best as I can estimate). Oddly the ones that bleach seem to have a slightly better chance of survival. (Could be that if they are healthy enough they can expel the zoozanthelle otherwise it releases something toxic from the stress or something crazy like that)

Just want you to know what a rare and valuable gem you have if either or both do make it long term. We know nothing about what takes them down or what would fix the problem. They are in such a violent environment in the wild, you will see them hanging off of rocks in the tropical sun or the rain at low tide or in tidal pools that must have huge temp and salinity swings yet getting to our tanks is too much for them. So, document what you do and how they act. Someday we will get a picture of what works if enough people are out there looking for the answers.

Thank you Cindy and yes I will try to keep information and let you know how they make out.

Ronnie

yeah you might as well put sps in it as softies dont need a bubble king and all the other top notch matching gadgets you have in that beast

Back