Need advice on an Aggressive Clown

amixam98

Non-member
Last week I bought 2 maroon clowns hoping that they would pair up. Both were introduced into the tank at the same time. As soon as they were introduced one seem to be more agressive then the other one. Recently the aggressive one started hosting my BTA and has gotten more aggressive. He won't let the other one get anywhere near the BTA. What are my options? Should I just be patient and let things cool down? It's been about 2 weeks now since I bought them.

I would wait a little while and see what happens. One is just probably trying to establish dominance.

That happened with our clowns, one clown seemed to find the BTA first and wouldn't let the other in when he came over to it, but the other repeatedly kept coming back and they would bicker and fight. I was a little worried because they behaved pretty aggressively towards each other. Now they are both in it or one goes into one anemone and the other goes into the other. One is still a bit more territorial than the other but they seem to get along pretty well now.:)

-Gina

Very possible to have to females at which point things will never settle down, good way to look at it is if they are males the tend to be a brighter red color where as females are larger and darker in color, if both a bright red then I wouldnt worry as one will turn female if both tend to be a darker maroon or almost black in color then chances are its 2 females and things will never settle... good luck!!

same sizes. Pretty small. maybe 2 inches..

Thats the problem. You usually want a really big one and a small one. Maybe one inch apart. That way, one can dominate, in which case the female. I dont think paring same size clowns is possible especailly maroon clowns.

Both of our clowns were very small when we got them. Before they discovered the anemones, they were completely inseparable. Now you'll often see one in the BTA and the other in the sebae, but many times they'll both be in the same anemone. One was slightly larger than the other when we got them, but now they seem to be almost the same size. I think they're still too young to see if they will mate eventually, I hope they do....

-Gina

One is a little bit darker than the other one. i"m going to give it some time before deciding what to do. I might add another BTA from another member this weekend and see how that plays out.

Back