Algae problems

mr.gaboozlebag

Non-member
In my new 40g tank I am starting to have some bad algae problems on the substrate, glass, and rocks. The tank is about a month old, but it has already cycled water from my old tank. The cleanup crew is 6 nassarius, and 4 scarlet hermit crabs. The substrate is new aragonite. Is this just a algae bloom that will go away, or do I have to do something about it.

I also have little bubbles on all of my rocks. When I blow them with a turkey baster they just come back.

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_6121small.JPG
    IMG_6121small.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_6123small.JPG
    IMG_6123small.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_6124small.JPG
    IMG_6124small.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 454
I think some turbo snails and astrae snails would help a lot. Also how long do you keep your light on? And how is your nitrate?

I just noticed that my nitrate test is expired, so I will get another tommorow, or borrow my friends. I do not use RO/DI. If anyone could explain why using that water is better, I would apreciate it, because I don't really know much about it. My mom works in a lab, so I could get some RODI, but not more than a gallon a day. I have this light: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU01121.

I keep my light on for 12 hours (not sure how much time is recommended).
I think some turbo snails and astrae snails would help a lot.

I am worried about havering to many snails. I have heard of people sying 1 snail per gallon is recommended, and others say that 1 snail per 10 gallons is recommended. Your thoughts?
Thanks,

I do not use RO/DI. If anyone could explain why using that water is better, I would apreciate it, because I don't really know much about it.
Well...it is pretty much proven that people that use tap water often have more algae issues. But, your issue looks more like Cyano than algae.

It's normal for a new tank to cycle through some nuisance algae outbreaks. It takes time for the proper bacterial populations that consume nutrients like nitrate to get established. First you will see brown algae on your substrate. This lasts for a few weeks to a few months. Also you might see the dreaded cyano. Use RO/DI water for your water changes. Use activated carbon and change it every three to four weeks. A good GFO like phosban will also help in keeping your phosphates low and is almost a must have if you want to keep algae at bay.

I have the same light...but mine is 48". I think you're keeping the light on too long...try reducing the time to about 10 hours. I'm not sure what the proper # of snails per gallons you're supposed to have. I guess it just depends on how much the rate of algae growth in your tank.

Yeah, like was said, that is normal for a new tank. Just keep your parameters in check and it will pass as the tank matures. What kind of flow do you have in the tank?

I have started to put my light on for only 10 hours today.

Is RODI better because it gets rid of the nutrients and minerals in regular water that algae thrives on? If I useRODI, will I have to add any supplements that is in regular water that isn't in RODI?

Also, does anyone have any Idea about the bubbles?

Thanks. I might not get the test kits today because I am going to Buddy dog, have a lot of homework, and the road conditions aren't ideal.

Thanks,

No one knows why RODI is better?

BTW, I am using well water from the well at my house because I have a geothermal heating system.

Also, anyone know about the bubbles?

Most people use RO/DI instead of their tap water because it takes away metals,phosphates, and other impurities from the water. So you know what you are starting with before you add your salt. You can use tap or well water but now you are taking more of a risk that there is something in your water that could hurt your tank inhabitants or bring about undesirable algaes.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.php

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/saltwater/fenner_treating water.html

Is it neccassary, some think so, but I am sure some get by with tap water and have nice tanks. But since you are having algae problems, the first thing to check is your water and the source.

Back